How to replace inition lock cylinder

I have an 89 GMC Sierra K1500. The quick question is, I need to replace my ignition lock cylinder. I have removed the steering wheel itself, and then the plastic cover thing underneath it and am now faced with this:

And I have no clue what to do next. I can not figure out how to get this piece removed or what to do next? Any help would greatly be appreciated. The only thing I can think of next is to call a tow truck and have it towed to a mechanic, which I really don't want to do.

The long version which you can ignore if you want...

I lost my keys so I called the GMC dealership thinking they could cut me a new key. The guy at the parts counter said all they need is the VIN. So the next day I start to copy down the VIN, but decide I might make a mistake in one of the numbers and to avoid that I just bring down the title. Which was a good thing because apparently they need the actual title itself and not just the VIN. But they also need the registration?? So I go back the next day with the registration but get there an hour AFTER they closed which was still TWO HOURS before he told me they closed. So I go back a 3rd time and give him my title, registration, diver's license, and sign off my first born child. I get some shiny new keys finnally and they do not work!! The door does, but not the ignition. Looking at the ignition key there are hardly any notches in it at all - looks very strange. So I go back another time and ask if he could verify that he cut the key correctly, entered in the correct numbers, etc. etc. He was entirely insulted that I might even suggest he cut the key wrong, even though he said he also thought it was odd the key had very few notches in it. He pretty much refused to even recheck anything. And then the idiot I am, instead of going to a different GMC dealership I buy a new lock cylinder for $27. Which required me to go back yet another time to pick it up. I asked the guy how hard it was to install and he didnt know, but a mechanic said it was a piece of cake if your "OK" with tools. I think I am "OK" so I asked him if there were any tricky parts or hints he can give me. HE just said to start with the steering wheel and keep taking stuff apart until you get down to the lock cylinder. So off I go. I get home and guess what, the steering wheel will not come off. Searching on the net informed me I need a "steering wheel puller". I would have thought either putz #1 or putz #2 at the dealerhip parts dpmt would have told me that. So I drive down to the local NAPA and buy one for $15. Go back home and the steering wheel comes off extremly easy. Next I removed the thin plastic cover thing - almost snapped it as it was not apparent how to remove it but it did come off w/o much effort. And now I am looking at this steel round thing which despite my best efforts just wont budge:

Have also spent a couple hours today surfing the net trying to find out what to do next to no avail. So here I am ready to take my steering wheel down to the GMC dealership and wrap it around the parts guy head!!!

Not sure if I should just toss in the towel and have it towed ($$) to a mechanic (which might be interesting since the truck is backed into the woods between a tree and my shed and has a plow on the front of it), try getting a different dealer to cut me a new key, hire a locksmith to come out and make a new key, or hopefully someone here can tell me how to remove the current piece in the picture I linked above. And if there are any other "gotchas" between there and the ignition lock.

thanks in advance,

-Kevin

Reply to
kingnh

That's the lock plate. It requires a tool that attaches to the shaft and then by tightening a nut presses the plate down far enough to remove the retaining ring. It should ne available at most auto supply stores. Get a manual. They're useful for disassembly and reassembly.

Reply to
Henry Bemis

========== ========== Kevin, There is a circlip locking that plate onto the shaft.

a link......

available at all fine autoparts stores...... but you can one at the AutoZonedOut store too.

The tool is NOT...absolutely necessary. danged handy. a lot easier. but not an absolute necessity.

I HAVE done the job without one. tricky testing but doable

oh..and i enjoyed the long version. rotflmao at yet another DIY'rs easy job turned hard. (sorry...cud'nt help myself)

Once you get that plate depressed, the criclip removed from around the shaft, and the plate off.......

yer gonna need an inverted torx socket to get the cylinder off.

~~Random Thoughts~~ a $27 cylinder a $15 tool and now ......another tool..$15 ?? and then....another tool..$4 $$

wow.....$61

man......he shudda called the locksmith. $50-$75 job done.

~~end random thoughts~~

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

WOW! This summarizes the world we live in. I left my truck running with the door locked while going into the post office. Long story short: the local dealer made a new key using the VIN number. None of the other information was necessary. He did mention he hoped it didn't 'overheat' in the mean time. "Overheat"? The last of my worries. The gas tank was full, no heater/ac, radio, etc., was on. It did take about 45 minutes and several phone calls (the first to my insurance co, which was a waste of time)

- but request for other than the VIN and ins policy # is questionable.

Reply to
Helen