I have a 2000 Silverado 5.3L that is loosing coolant

I have to fill the surge take with every tank of gas. There are no visible signs of a leak, there is no oder of coolant. I have changed all the hoses. I have pressure checked the system, it holds 15psi over night! I have pulled the spake plugs to see if one is overly clean as a sign of coolant burning off in a cylinder, they are all the same tan color. The oil is clean no milk shake. The truck runs great. It runs right at 195 as it should.

When I was inspecting my intake manifold I discovered it has as vacuum leak at some of the cylinders. My OBD2 meeter shows the O2 sensors spike when I spray break cleaner at the base. So I will deal with that in the near future but that should not affect coolant.

Any body please this is driving me nuts!

Reply to
Rossco

Check the line and overflow tank itself. One of those could be cracked and they don't get tested as they are after the cap.

Reply to
Steve W.

My 98 Blazer has a leaky over flow tank. I've been using a length of hose and a two liter soda pop bottle for overflow system. My radiator has a serious leak, and I need to fill my over flow ever morning. Some time later this year, I will put some epoxy on what I think are the leaks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks guys, found it. It would hold 15 psi cold for 24 hr but when I warmed the engine up to 195 and then pumped up the pressure to 15 psi coolant dripped out from behind the water pump. Heat was the answer. So its a simple water pump job.

Good input I was leaning toward the surg-tank and cap myself. Thanks all

Reply to
Rossco