ignition switch malfunction

hopefully one of you can help. i own a 91 s-10, v6, 5spd. yesterday the ignition switch went out. it clicks all the way to the run position but not to the start position like something is blocking it. thats as far as it will go. im a carpenter and not the most informed about auto repair. is this something that can be fixed? or do i need a whole new assembly? if it can be fixed, how? would a novice be able to fix it? thanks for any help. and yes i googled a bit for help on this but pretty much all i came up with is more sites to google with. UGH

Reply to
I R Baboon

The Actual Ingition swith is ON the steering column just about the Brake pedal.. It Isnot INTERNAL

I R Babo> hopefully one of you can help. i own a 91 s-10, v6, 5spd. yesterday the

Reply to
no one

thanks for pointing that out to me. however, that doesnt solve the problem of the key not going to the start position

Reply to
I R Baboon

There is a ROD that goes down to the SWITCH !!!! it may have a bind

I R Babo> thanks for pointing that out to me. however, that doesnt solve the problem

Reply to
no one

Reply to
Bill W

I R Baboon wrote: "hopefully one of you can help. i own a 91 s-10, v6, 5spd. yesterday the ignition switch went out. it clicks all the way to the run position but not to the start position like something is blocking it. thats as far as it will go. im a carpenter and not the most informed about auto repair. is this something that can be fixed? or do i need a whole new assembly? if it can be fixed, how? would a novice be able to fix it? thanks for any help. and yes i googled a bit for help on this but pretty much all i came up with is more sites to google with. UGH"

If you have tilt steering wheel trying moving it back and forth and see if that frees it up. If the key still won't turn you can have the key lock assembly price is between 9 to 20 bucks.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

You must determine if its the lock cylinder (key part) or the ignition switch (on the top of the column with all the wires going to it) or mechanicals in the column that could be broken. I suggest buying a repair manual if you want to do it yourself. If it is the lock cyl you need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate remover (besides normal mechanics hand tools.) The way it is set up is...the lock cyl turns a gear type part that pushes/pulls a long rod that goes down to the ign switch. If when you turn it to the bad spot and it feels very solid (no give like the rod trying to bend) it is most likely the lock cyl. Its a very easy fix if you've done it before, if not, kinda tough I would think. As a matter of fact, my lock cyl just broke on my Sonoma the other day. It wouldn't shut off. The part was 20 something bucks at autozone.(you can get it with keys so no locksmith required)Oh, comes in black or chrome too:) I like black, the cheap chrome just looks "cheap" to me...Ok, now I'm rambling... Good luck.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below

Michael McNeil