Igntion Timing 1990 5.7 TBI

I have the Edelbrock power pkg. #3702 Edlbrock Cam and heads. I have to run 89 OCT, because of being in Mexico. My question with the wire disconnected, what should I set the timing at BTDC. I am reading 0,4,8. I am guessing 4 degrees and see how it runs with this great gas we have here.

Reply to
cabopeter

4 BTDC is what spec is. (I run more than that on my 89 TBI) Did you also use the Eldebrock intake manifold? The stock GM one does not flow too good.
Reply to
SnoMan

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
Yes I used there intake manifold, JBA headers, aluminum heads and so on. This site seems to want to us 0 degrees, the Haynes Manual wants 4 Degrees, and Edelbrock wants 8 Degrees. I am still going to try between

4 and 6 because of the lower OCT. Thanks
Reply to
cabopeter

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
Yes I used there intake manifold, JBA headers, aluminum heads and so on. This site seems to want to us 0 degrees, the Haynes Manual wants 4 Degrees, and Edelbrock wants 8 Degrees. I am still going to try between

4 and 6 because of the lower OCT. Thanks
Reply to
cabopeter

My factory sticker under the hood says 4 BTDC with wire disconnected. With cam, heads and intake I would use at the very least 89 octane or better and 8 to 10 degrees of spark if you want to get the most out of that combo. If you retard spark to run low octane fuel it will not live up to its potenail.

Reply to
SnoMan

if you've got edelbrock's complete power package and the chip for it, run the advance they tell you to.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I have a 1990 Suburban 5.7L TBI and it runs great on 87 octane gas. The setting listed on the emissions sticker is zero degrees BTDC. =A0 If you advance it above this, you will gain power and fuel mileage but you may need a higher octane gas. We used to run the older small blocks (pre ECM) at 4 to 8 degrees advanced with few if any problems and I used to run mine slightly higher. =A0 When checking/setting the timing, remember to unhook the sensing wire to the distributor.

Rich B