Impact Wrenches

About 1998, I got an impact wrench. Electric plug in Wel Bilt, from Northern tools. Worked nicely for lugs, and even used it to help change leaf springs, one time. But it's long, from front to back. Won't fit up under fenders.

That broke, two lugs into a front brake pad change. I was three hours from home. I finished the job with a hand wrench. Wow, that's a lot of work.

Bought an electric impact from Harbor Freight, which is also very useful. But still desire something smaller, to fit under fenders. And for changing front brakes, when I need to pull the caliper bolts.

Just tried out my HF air wrench. The one I got cheap on Ebay. Spins off a wheel lug, which is no big deal. I don't crank em down tight. But, it did it with style and dignity. Says 425 pounds of remove torque. Should help in some situations.

Might do, for stuff under the hood, and under the fender. As expected, the HF 3 gal pancake compressor kicsk right on, and runs while I'm wrenching. I suspect about five seconds on, 60 off, to let the compressor catch back up.

I have a 5 gal tank I'm going to wire into series. Bit longer run times. I'd like to put 80 gal water heater in my kitchen, and use that for a ballast tank. But, I don't really want to spare the space, and I do like being portable.

A couple times come to mind, it would have been handy. A couple times I have gone to help friends change tires. Once or twice, to change brakes, on vehicles.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have a cheapie from WallyWorld that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I've changed three tires with it and it works ok. I sure couldn't make a living with that thing, though.

Reply to
George

Does it spin, get up to speed, and then wham?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
George