In bed tank fittings

Is there a standard method for hooking up an in bed fuel tank?

Specifically, is there a standard set of fittings for going through the bed?

Is there a kit that has these fittings? If so where can I get one?

TIA, AP

Reply to
Alan Petrillo

Depends on what you are trying to do. If you want to use that tank as you drive, then find an old dual tank truck at a boneyard and get everything: Fuel switch, lines, wiring, selector valve, etc. Then you will need to plumb it all up so it works like the dual tank rig. It's a problem if you cant mount the original style fuel pump into the tank, as you'll have to add an inline pump somewhere. You can't plumb it in without the OEM style lines because of the constant flow of fuel back through the return line.

Other option is just to put a pump into it to fill the other tank with. Not convenient unless you're a long way from a pump where you do most of your driving, such as a farm.

Reply to
John Alt

If it is a late model OBDII gasoline vehicle, you may have difficulty in making sure you do not turn on the check engine light and flag a DTC. Try checking out Transfer Flow in Chico, CA

Reply to
Mark Forwalter

Well, if you know of a behind-the-axle tank that will fit into a 1985 S-10 longbed then that'd be optimum. Then I wouldn't have to worry about going through the bed, just finding a spot for the filler.

I have a Pollack 6 port valve with the appropriate switch and wiring. I have a carboy which I'm going to convert into a tank. Unfortunately it's going to have to go in the bed instead of under it. Under the bed is going to be the primary fuel filter, with the final filter on a frame rail under the engine compartment.

Not a problem. Fuel line is easy to get and cheap.

Not an option for me.

The truck is a 1985 S-10 Diesel, and the second tank is going to be used as the vegetable oil tank in a 2 tank vegetable oil fuel system.

Right now I have the truck running on a mixture of 20% vegetable oil and

80% diesel, with a bit of LubroMoly Diesel High Test added. This probably wouldn't work for someone in a more northern climate, but it works fine for me down here in Florida. As it is it isn't happy on startup, and cackles a bit until it warms up. And I've had to turn the fuel up an eighth of a turn to compensate for the lower specific heat of the vegetable oil.

AP

Reply to
Alan Petrillo

Nope. It's an old diesel. It doesn't even know what an ECU is.

Thanks, I'll look them up.

AP

Reply to
Alan Petrillo