Inside Toyota's Hybrid Truck

So what does that work out to in energy cost?

So do you have numbers for emissions per ton mile for diesel powered merchant ships? And what exempts ships carrying nickel from Canada to Japan from MARPOL Annex VI?

I see no numbers. Define "substantial".

At what location is it "pouring"?

In your opinion.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:2QoQUaj8jVMJ:

What makes you think that mining a tone of nickel ore destroys a ton of environment? Seems to me that if nickel is so all fired horrible then perhaps the local environment is being improved by its removal.

You'd be happier if it was hydrochloric? How much of that sulfuric acid leaves the refinery? I don't want to see "lots" or "too much" or some other bogus appeal to emotion, I want to see a number and a percentage of total sulfuric acid production.

What, exactly, do you think that electroplating has to do with the production of nickel? Yet another irrational appeal to emotion.

Exactly how much sulfur dioxide would that be? Again I want to see a number, not an irrational appeal to emotion.

What percentage of people is "most"? How much acreage has to be devoted to the production of bio-diesel to meet the demand? What are the environmental costs of the production of bio-diesel? How much synthetic fertilizer and how many tons of pesticides have to be applied each year?

Care to compare the pollution numbers from coal fired baseload power plants to those of automotive diesel engines producing the equivalent amount of energy?

Neither is biodiesel.

And where is the end?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I think you need to release the H2 from the O.

Reply to
bearman

Well nothing, BUT we demand ultra low sulfter fuel for vehicles, the allowed amount is 15ppm.

Yet MARPOL Annex VI allows 2.9-4 % m/m sulfer content. If I searched correctly and I believe I did:

0.10% m/m is 1000ppm. So marpol allows up to 40,000 ppm sulfer content. Now then I got the break down on allowed by MARPOL from their web site. I got break down of 5 m/m to ppm from

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

So what?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I think Volkswagon should bring back the '78 Rabbit. I got 35 MPG mixed city/highway driving (highway speeds of 70 MPH) and as good as 50 MPG at 55 MPH for a long distance. That's pretty close to matching, or bettering today's hybrids, with their more expensive batteries.

Reply to
Ed H.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but most of the h2 generated in North America comes from "cracking" Nat'l gas. I do it every day. And btw, the process I use liberates more H2 than what is in the gas to start with. Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

Had this discussion before. How far do you think that POS could tow my 3000lb sailboat?

Reply to
JR

Interesting. Can enough be generated in that fashion to provide energy equivalent to the current consumption of gasoline? If you're getting more hydrogen out than was in the natural gas to begin with one would expect so.

Reply to
J. Clarke

OK I will try to explain this as best I can off the top of my head. The steam used to "crack" the gas is created in a small boiler that is also gas fired. The waste gas stream from the burner contains H2 as well as other unburned hydrocarbons. These are collected as well and run thru a series of catalytic converters and stripped from the waste gas and reintroduced to the cracking chamber at moderate pressure 2-300 psig. The spent steam itself is also a small source of H2 as the flashed vapor is sent thru yet another process (semi-permeable membrane filter) as it is enroute to a collection vessel and discarded. All liquid waste is piped to our chemical waste treatment plant. The final waste gas stream is scrubbed and released from a short stack as a mix of inert gasses. This process produces roughly 10,000 cubic ft of H2/hour @ 200 psig using roughly 6,800 cubic ft of Nat'l gas/hour @ 80 psig. I will leave it to you calculate the energy available in each. I just want the H2 for other processes. There ain't no free lunch, but we are constantly working on increasing the efficiency of the process. Will this replace gasoline? I don't think so yet if you want to burn the H2 as a fuel, maybe in a few years as better methods of mobile storage and new engines are developed. It could replace gasoline now if used in a fuel cell to generate electricity. The equipment I use was originally designed as an on site source of H2 at a network of refueling stations across the country. Part of the H2 infrastructure so to speak. The H2 generating unit itself will fit in the back of a 20 ft van truck. All it needs is a source of softwater ,Nat'l gas, and electricity. It's pretty cool stuff.

Regards, JR

"J. Clarke" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com...

Reply to
JR

When batteries are recycled the metals are extracted from the batteries. Chemicals used to extract metals are hazardous and must be disposed of. Thus increasing the number of batteries increases the amount of other hazardous materials that needs disposed of.

What has bothered me is the government is spend> Cool looking vehicle!

Reply to
Ronald Thompson

So you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Reply to
JG2U

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 07:12:35 -0500, J. Clarke rearranged some electrons to say:

I doubt it. The cracking process requires steam, which requires energy to produce it. One needs to be very careful when comparing fuel sources... the energy required to convert them into a usable form has to be taken into account.

Reply to
david

Cracking crude oil to gasoline requires energy too, does it not? The question is whether the energy required to make the steam is greater than the energy to be derived by converting the resulting hydrogen into energy either by combustion in an engine or by use in a fuel cell.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 13:32:34 -0500, J. Clarke rearranged some electrons to say:

Indeed, that is the question for *any* fuel source... how much net energy is gleaned from it? Until that question is answered, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Reply to
david

How about the deforestation of the planet which has increased the last 30 years is the cause.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning