Installing a distributor et al???? Help quick!!

I just dropped a rebuilt 350 TBI engine into my 1994 GMC K1500 this weekend. What a job!!! I now have more and the utmost respect for the automotive techs out there than I ever did before. I can see why their expertise comes at a premium price sometimes.

First off, is there a simple way to prime the engine prior to starting? The machine shop I bought this engine from has an air driven unit, but I can't get it until sometime tomorrow. Last day I have off from work is tomorrow. What could be used to turn the oil pump shaft while it's sitting in the vehicle? I read somthing about a 1/4" drive extension with a 5/16" deep socket that could be used to spin the shaft...will this work?

As to the distributor; If I set the #1 piston at TDC and 0 degrees timing on the balancer, can't I just drop in the distributor? Once the distributor marries up with the oil pump shaft, and the rotor is in a particular position, won't that position become the #1 plug wire for firing? I would assume that the rotor has to be dead centered on one of the distributor cap terminals once the distributor is seated, right?

Lastly, should I be concerned if the starter will mesh with the flywheel properly? When I installed the starter, it appears that there is a small "gap" on the bottom and side towards the engine relevant to the starter housing. The bolt holes in the new block match up with the holes in the starter housing so I'm not sure why there's a "gap"? Ideas??

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks. Andy

Reply to
AndyW

Andy.... if you look on the bottom of the distributor shaft you will see why a 5/16 socket wont work. If you could find a way to fish out the oil pump driveshaft then you could use the socket to turn the oil pump. What i use is a modified ditributor shaft that has the cam drive gear removed, you can make one if you have a old hei distributor or you can buy one from Summit Racing.

If you drop the distributor in at TDC then it will be correct or it be 180 degrees out... the cam rotates at a 2:1 ratio with the crank so the piston will be on the power stroke or the intake stroke... the intake valve opens as the piston is headed down pulling air and fuel into the cylinder, just before the piston changes directions the intake valve closes and the piston rises to TDC compressing the mixture when the plug fires igniting the mix and the expanding gases force the piston back down on the power stroke, the the exhaust valve opens as the piston is headed north again forces the spent gases out the exhaust port. Then it begins again.......Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust.

The distributor drive gear has a helical cut gear so you will need to rotate the ditributor shaft 1 notch past where you want it so when the oil pump driveshaft lines up the distributor will drop into place.....maybe. Trial and Error usually rules this part of assy. so be patient if things don't work out the first time. If you get it right then the motor will run.....maybe. If you get it 180 out then it send a flame out the top of the carburetor......i guarantee it

The starter may require some shimming and/or grinding......who knew

Good luck Andy.....hope this helps

Reply to
Mad Dog

Success!!!! As luck would have it, my parts guy had a shaft that fit the oil pump. Attached it to my drill and primed the motor about 5 minutes. As far as the distributor goes, I did just as Mad Dog suggested and it fired right up....didn't get the chance to see any flames thru the TBI :-) Thanks to all for any advice given. Andy

Reply to
AndyW