Instructions for Fan Clutch replacement? 1997 Chevy 4.3 V6

does anyone have instructions on how to replace a bad fan clutch on a

1997 Chevy truck 4.3 V6 with A/C?

thanks in advance

Reply to
michael.menefee

Very simple... with the proper tools. There are several ways to remove the fan clutch, but the best is to use the tool designed for the job.

First remove the serpentine belt. You will notice a large nut between the fan clutch and water pump main shaft. Using a special wrench and holder, you can bust the nut loose and spin off the fan clutch. The fan will still be attached to the clutch and must be changed over to the new clutch before installation. Most of the time the nut is very tight and it is right handed threads. I always reinstall with anti-sieze compound on the threads.

Note: on some applications, you may have to remove the top half of the fan shroud to gain access. A common practice, but not recommend, is using an air chiesel to spin the large nut loose.

James

Reply to
James1549

is fine, if you don't mind replacing the water pump 30 days later.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

On my 2001 S-10, I left the serpentine belt installed, it helped hold the pulley in place. Remove the upper fan shroud The nut is ~1-3/8 inch, I used a 12 inch Crescent If you need to hold the pulley in place with a large screwdriver between the nuts or a box end wrench on one of the four pulley nuts should work fine After then fan/clutch ass'y is removed, change the fan over to the new clutch Reverse steps to reinstall

Reply to
Dennis S.

Here are my tools I use for the job...

James1549

thanks guys... I'm attempting to do this, this upcoming weekend. I'm also replacing the serpentine belt.

Reply to
michael.menefee