K&N AIR FILTER Cleaning/Oil

Hey Guys, I had a K&N air filter put in my truck ! anyone have one? I have it out now cleaning it as directed. as for oil here are the directions...

{ It's a 2004 Crew Cab Duramax Deisel 4x4 Chevrolet........}

1.Never use Green filters without oil 2.Never over oil the filter (This may cause damage to the sensors in the intake)

so now what ??????? I can guess what to much is but I am a little shady on guessing what not enough is????

Thanks for any help I am headed to Elkhart, Indiana in the morning so any quick honest help is appriciated !!! Thanks ! Bob :)

Reply to
JustaBenz Perkins Racing

You want a light coat of oil. The filter will change colors so you'll see where the oil is and isn't. Spray on the oil evenly maybe slightly more at the top end and then let it sit for a while and let the oil work it's way down. I always say it's almost a all day job to Clean and Re-oil a K&N filter. You clean it good with the cleaning solution and hose it out with water and then you have to just let it sit for however long it takes for the filter to air out all the way. Don't blow air though it to make it dry faster. It'll take a lot less time doing it on a nice hot day then in the middle of winter. So that takes time, then you have to oil it just right. To much and you have filter oil running into your Intake, You really have to put a lot on, if you don't put enough oil in, then the filter doesn't work correctly and you get dirt into the intake.

Don't over do the oil, you can always add a little more if needed which is easier then starting over again. Also take your time, if you rush it your going to get poor results. Let the filter sit with the side going to the engine down and then oil. After letting it sit for a while with the oil socking in and it's wet on the bottom where it seals, you've used to much oil.

Reply to
JBDragon

Thanks for the response. about the blowing air through it? I did blow air through it before I got to your post . it wasn't a hard blast of air just enough to release a little water . the filter is still damp. Did I ruin it? It don't look any different other than cleaner! Sincerely, Thanks again ! Bob :)

Reply to
JustaBenz Perkins Racing

If you didn't blow to much air to close to the filter is should be ok, but I wouldn't ever do it again. Just let it Air Dry. Do the job on a warm day and it'll dry out faster, but best to start in the Morning so you have enough time. The engine is drawing in a large amount of air though it, but though the entire filter and not directing it to a small little area with

90+PSI though a little nozzle. If it still looks good then I would say it's fine.

Reply to
JBDragon

You do realize you are currently voiding your warranty? (There is a TSB out from Chevy AND Ferd) That filter will destroy your engine, and give you 0 performance while doing it. A $1.97 Fram filter from Wal*Mart will allow the engine to produce just as much power, not void your warranty, and keep your engine running for many years to come...

Just my $0.02 - and remember, my advise might be worth what you paid for it.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

Well let me tell you about my experience with K&N.... I traveled on a gravel road for about 2 hours and after the trip, check my K&N filter and it was dirty....but so was the intake to my Turbo on my 6.5L. This makes cense, since you can see through the filter while holding it up to the sun. I now use an Amsoil 2 stage filter with the filter oil and clean it every 6 months. I have yet to find any dirt next to the turbo impeller with the amsoil filter. I have learned from experience. Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
Sled Head 2000

so this isn't that great of a product ? I will be honest when I say that I have put 12,000 miles on my truck in the last 2 months . bought it with 3 miles. I haven't noticed any $80 difference myself. but then again how would I ever know if it was doing any good when I put it in the truck when it was new? more opinions would be great ! I know about

40 guys using them and just talk good about them ! These are guys that use their trucks as trucks . they get traded in about every year. they're Hauling new campers,Horse Trailers,Boats etc etc... all over the country even into Canada and Alaska. Have a Great One ! Bob
Reply to
JustaBenz Perkins Racing

Opinions are great, but the fact is that GM does have a bulletin out that states that an overoiled replaceable filter can cause havoc with MAF sensors and such. In your case, with the Duramax, it may not be an issue. Personally, I think that the original factory filters are probably the best. The round cylindrical ones in the GM trucks seem to last a long time and do a good job of filtering. Why bother fooling around with other ones?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I have had one in my 97 since new and now have 103,000 miles on it with no problems. I previously had a 6.2 diesel with 120k and used the K & N as well with no problems. I follow the instructions in cleaning and do not over oil the unit.

Reply to
Stevem Farley

Reply to
Jay Anderson