Keyless FOBs for Mulitple Trucks

I have a 03 Tahoe and a 04 Silverado can I use 1 FOB for both trucks? My pockets are full!!!!

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
ScottEslick

Hi!

It's somewhat unlikely that this would work. The actual keyfob may be interchangeable between models (and is usually a variation on a theme between models -- the PCB appears to stay the same...e.g. some vehicles have use of a fourth button, where my S-10 only has a hidden button pad for the fourth button. I wonder what it would do if pushed, but have never thought to try it...) But there's a twist--to keep the fob from ever being likely to open anyone else's vehicle, a rotating code system is used. Supposedly there are over a billion codes to choose from, and none are ever used twice.

The way these work probably precludes any use of a keyfob between trucks. Every time the fob transmits, it changes the code. When synchronized to the controller in the vehicle, the next expected (and transmitted) code will match. (Even if it doesn't, it is said that there is a margin of acceptable values that will be allowed at the point of the controller. This is why you push the button when out of the vehicle's range and have things still work when you get back. Push the button enough (over 128 IIRC) times when you're out of range and you'll have to sync up the fob with the vehicle once again.)

Since every vehicle will be in a different place with the codes, I have my doubts that you could ever get the two synchronized. Even still, this might be possible if both vehicles will A) pick up the code and B) travel through the yet-to-be-used codes in the same order.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh