Late Model Shop Manuals, Hard to Get

Just got a GMC pickup (recently got a Cadillac also) and went to the service guys to get the shop books. Things have changed quite a lot since my last purchase about 10 years ago.

Apparently the books are on CD now and cost around $800, each.

The service guy was able to find the GMC manual in paper but it was almost $400.

What the heck? This is really expensive just so I can understand come computer codes or track down an electrical problem.

Even if there is a Haynes available they don't cover the computer systems interface, use and error codes.

Anyone have any insight on this? Know where a more reasonably priced documentation set is available?

What really shocks me about this is what GMC/Chevy/Cadillac's mind set is regarding these doc sets. I wouldn't suggest piracy as a solution but electronic media at that cost would seem to open the door to a variety of bootleg issues. Guess it's a philosophical issue, I don't get it though.

Thanks, Rick

Reply to
Rick

Have you checked for the non-oem manuals on CD? I've seen some at parts stores recently. You might also check into Mitchell manuals.

Reply to
Scott M

I was looking for the standard GM shop manual. I had expected to spend about what you suggested. Did you get yours through the dealer?

Rick

Tim wrote:

Reply to
Rick

Order from Helm. They provide the factory with their manuals.

Steve W.

Helm

Reply to
Tim

I think he meant they provide the dealers with factory service manuals.....

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

All of the GM dealers now access to a web based service manuals. This allows the dealers to have updated service information as changes take place to a vehicle. The paper manuals are available through Helm and even the dealers order from them. If you want to order paper manuals there is a spot in the front of a dealer service manual that has the phone number to call. Be aware since the dealers do not get the paper manuals the volume is lower so the cost is now higher. You can buy Mitchell manuals or other manuals from parts warehouses but they will not have all of the correct information, campaigns, bulletins, etc. They more or less buy from Helm and make a copy to their formatting that is usually out of date and incorrect.

Fu

Reply to
Fu Dollars