leaf sping hanger suggestion (Van)?

Hi All,

I need a suggestion. I have an 83 Chevy van. I noticed today that the drivers side leaf spring hanger/pocket has rusted through. It is the rear hanger. The problem is the pocket/hanger is welded to the frame and appears to also be part of the body (actually welded with cross-members to the body. I have hit a few welding fab shops and a few body shops and no body is interested as it is more work then they are interested in doing (their admission). Any suggestions, I hate to have to junk the van as it runs like a top and even though I do weld I do not feel comfortable welding structural parts on a suspension.

Thanks,

mark

Reply to
r_d

none2u

I hear what you are saying. The other three hangers are fine but the van has about 640k miles on it and the problem is that it is basically a uni-body with the body carrying the weight rather then the frame, weird design for a vehicle designed in the 70's. But then again I guess GM has been building uni-body cars since the 50's....

The welding shops take a look at the fact they need to make a new pocket and replace all of the mounting points and they just do not want that much work nor the liability. I suspect even a top notch welder will take better then a week of constant work to make the plates and structurally weld it all in place.

I probably will fix it myself and use it as a learning experience and a reason for new tools.... Always looking for a reason for new tools....

thank you for your response mark

Reply to
r_d

Vans have been unibody for a long long time. I would scour the wrecking yards and cut the "frame" section out, about two feet worth so there is good over lap and replace the section that has rotted out. Any decent body shop should be able to do that. Hell they cut cars in half and in quarters and weld them back together in accident repair. What you are needing should be a cake walk for them.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I though of that (and found several donor vehicles) and even suggested that to a few shops but the "wow we can't do that" look I got each time told me that since there is no insurance company paying for it or something they got for no cost and plan to resell, they are not interested.

thanks, mark

Reply to
r_d

Reply to