life of catalytic converters

Learned I need to replace my catalytic converter on 91 Suburban. Got about

163k miles out of the factory unit, which I expect is about right.

Two questions: What is the general life of catalytic converters? Any sources for good parts at a fair price? Thanks, F

Reply to
Fireant

I have gotten 200K plus out of some. If engine is keep in good tune running ptoperly, a 150K is not unusual at all. Generixc ones for about

100 bucks at a auto parts store will work just fine here.
Reply to
TheSnoMan

you got your moneys worth out of it for sure. Life of the cat varies greatly (how you drive, how the car runs, rich or lean....ect ect. 163K is very good. For a new cat call a few muffler shops, not midus or minakey or what ever its called. My last cat cost me $120 installed by a local no-big-name-francise muffler shop, minakey wanted over $200!

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Last car I had ('88 Z24) it lasted about 250,000kms. I still have the original cat on my current car ('95 Z34) and it's at 260,000kms.

However, the one on my '92 Honda needs to be replaced now (180,000kms) because the outer casing is rotting away.

Not sure about a good place to get one, the last one I bought was at some muffler shop that I think ripped me off. They told me I could get a regular one for $150CDN or a high flow one for $300CDN. I bought the $300CDN one and to this day believe there is no difference and no such thing as a 'high flow cat.'

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I was charged $120 installed for the high flow, it was only like $20 more. I think you got ripped too. I wonder what everyone thinks is a good cat?...? Just because it is one piece and isn't plugged? To me a good cat is one that works too.....(CA emission laws)

Reply to
Shoe Salesman