Looking for a Plow

Looking for a plow in decent shape for this winter. Does anyone in the Upstate NY area have one for sale? I'm looking to spend no more then $500 - $700 and I don't mind if the seals have to be replaced, etc. I just don't want a hunk of rust, and it needs to be operational, with good hydraulics, etc. I would prefer a elec/Hydro, but anything will do. Thanks.

It's for a 1990 1500.

Reply to
Crooked-Ridez

You're askin alot of that 1/2 ton truck by askin it to push a plow.

Are you sure you want to do this? The frames are weaker, so are the transmission and drivetrain components, not to mention springs. Everyone I know that plows (even rarely) has at least a 3/4 ton truck, if not a 1 ton, and even then, they've beefed up things like front locking hubs and suspension.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

I was born in upstate NY and have seen everything from a Quad, to an 2WD S-10, to a Jeep. All of them worked for thier specific application and size of area that they were plowing. Now if you are trying to plow on contract (like store parking lots) get a beefy truck....4x4 3/4 ton MINIMUM. if you are just removing the dust from your property you can get a lighter weight blade for your truck......they cost more though than the standard hunk of steel. Do your homework....

Side story...my neighbor plowed our whole street with his International Scout and I NEVER saw him get stuck in a much a 4 feet of snow.....it looked like hell, but worked like hell too...

Reply to
Eightupman

I would go to a 3/4 ton, we have a 1/2 ton ford at work with a plow. We have to put weight in the baclk as the plow puls front end down , also the frame has been broke twice. p.s. its a 4x4

Reply to
LARRY929

RE my earlier post the plow we have a good western we the wings for when we want to put them on.

Reply to
LARRY929

Heh, guy that lives in a house on my route to work upgraded to a 1/2 ton for this winter. He WAS using a Mazda B2000, re-badged Ranger, to plow...

Reply to
Mike Levy

In his price range (500-700), he's not gonna get any special duty plow. He's gonna get a standard "hunk of steel" plow. And unless he just plans on plowing sidewalks, I don't think a 1500 (and he never says if it's a C or K).

I too have lived in a snow-laden area for several years (no, not Texas - try Pittsburgh) Hell, we even had a lawnmower with a plow - that peice of shit couldn't move styrofoam on a dry driveway, and have seen many, many trucks that *shoulnd't* have a plow on 'em, all cuz someone wanted to try to make a buck by clearing someone's lot. The best 2 trucks I've seen with plows yet - 1978 F-250 460/4speed 4x4 with 6" lift (springs front and rear - no cheapo blocks) and 35" BFG and AT/TA's and a 1966 K-20 454/3speed 6" lift with 44" boggers. Both of these trucks had the frame re-inforced to handle the plow brackets - something that a used plow won't come with, and a 1/2 ton truck frame won't handle.

I'm just speakin from my own personal experience here - and yes, I do my homework. Just ask my Calc prof....

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

They want over 3K to install a Myer on my S-10, hyd in cab and all. It weighs about 450lbs total, steel and comp is a little more, and part of the assembly of course stays on the truck after the plow is off. I really haven't done my homework, but the cost stopped me on that for the moment. I have to get two big guys to stand on my bumper and see what happens. But then, how am I going to simulate snow? Wet snow? Dry Snow, deep snow? I want to do narrow, short driveways in senior parks. I know there is a market, my mother lives there and I shovel it. No one elses gets shoveled. Its not because they don't have money, you can't get a big truck in there I don't think, and no one tries to sell it.

Hatt

Reply to
Hatt