lower temp thermostat.

Hi.

I've got 3 camping trips coming up this and next month. And haven't taken this vehicle yet. I'm still getting it modded.

So here goes.

I was thinking of putting a 180F thermostat in my 2004 Silverado. 4.3 .manual . Because im going to be hauling camping gear on a front cargo carrier. Blocking the wind some. I have a good idea its going to be better. Sitting in traffic. But I'm not 100 % on this.

I have a friend with a 2000 s10 . and he swears his truck runs better with a 180 then the factory hot thermostat . He says his truck misses and gets doggy sitting in hot traffic . But he's not had any issues with the

180.

I'm more or less concerned about the OBD doing something stupid. And not anything else. Unless you guys know about some thing detrimental like carbon buildup or something.

Other then that. I've run 180s in just about everything I owned.

Thanks.

Diesel.

Reply to
DogDiesel

The LL8 Vortec 4.2 IL6 runs optimally at 210 degrees. I had a problem with a stuck open thermostat allowing it to run at around 180. My check engine soon lamp was on constantly in the winter. Some code in the OBDII said temp is below coolant sensor, forget the actual wording. But cutting to the chase, I got horrible gas milage at 180. Maybe 9 mpg in city. I didn't want to pull the stat housing, pretty low on the right side where the bottom hose is. So I put a piece of plexi inbetween the condenser and radiator. Didn't get it back up to 210 but enough to get the mileage back up around 11. So you can take it from there.

BTW I leased a 2008 BMW 335i twin turbo. Just gave it back a few weeks ago at the lease end. They wanted 24 grand for the residual and told them to shove it. I was out of that car several times, going back to the dealer with continuing high pressure fuel pump failures.They replaced it

5 times before getting it right. It ran at 250 degrees before the cooling fan kicked in. The dealer assured me that was normal. I never got credit for the month or more total that car was in the garage.
Reply to
A. Baum

I have a 4.3 Vortec V6.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Murray's has 170, 180 and 195 F thermostats. They have a JET one that says its guaranteed to hold 170. F . I wasn't expecting a 170 one.

Again , it comes down to the OBD system. Will it run closed loop at 180F or

170F.

I've got my cargo carrier on there . Its 5 ft by 2 ft. And it looks like there's going to be a lot of blocked air. I can put my fire ring on there and make a hole For the air. to the radiator,

But it sure looks like I spent a lot of money and I'm not getting a lot more carrying capacity. If I cant keep the engine cool. And fill the rack up.

Reply to
DogDiesel

You said that. The Vortec operates on the same principles regardless if it a V or IL. 10:1 compression. Vortec swirl combustion. I can safely assume that the specs are nearly the same without going into much detail. I said to you it might affect fuel mileage to run 30 degrees cooler. Put a 180 in it and let me know.

Reply to
A. Baum

You are correct. It's the ODB that will determine your mileage. I can only tell you about the LL8 ODB and that it runs rich until about 200.

Reply to
A. Baum