Marine battery in my truck??

Well, it was a fine deal, at Costco, but, is it a good idea to run a Marine battery in my truck?

I already did it anyway... no problems, yet.

What do you know, from experience?

Reply to
Big Red Truck

if it's a deep cycle battery, they are not really designed to have the large momentary draw of a starter, but they will work. If it's a marine starting battery, (like for an outboard or sterndrive boat) then there's really no difference.

Reply to
Steve Barker

It will blow up eventually. They have to be deep cycled . They get a voltage step if you dont run them down . I loaned a 1000 amp deep cycle battery to somebody. Until they were susposed to get a new one. They ran it in their truck until it blew up. About 8 months. It says right on the battery not for continuous use.

Reply to
None4U

OH bullshit.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Theyre designed to be continuously discharged , with heavy thicker plates. Not continuously charged. As in cant disapate heat.

Reply to
None4U

I suspect "blow up" means something different to N4U than it does for the rest of us.

Reply to
Dave

ya, more like "blow hole"

Reply to
Steve Barker

umm , No, hear a boom, then the batteries split open.

Reply to
None4U

Depends on the battery. Some are rated for both cranking and deep cycling. I run AGM (lot more money) marine for both cranking and continuous discharge applications on my bass boat. They are about 2 years old now and still about 90% capacity. (I can run the 109# TM at 75%+ thrust all day long and still have plenty left over.) The cranking battery is also the anchor battery for my 36V circuit so it really sees some abuse.

All marine batteries whether cranking or deep cycle should be built a little more robustly as they take a lot more shaking and pounding. Not always true of cheap box store batteries no matter what it says on the case.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

There is a RV battery you can get that is a comibination starting and deep cycle.

Reply to
GeekBoy

I,ve been running marine batteries in my silverado for a long time, for winch purposes. use the winch two or three times a month on average. I replace them about as often as I would a starting battery. I replaced them today. That's how I ended up stopping by this conversation. This last run was almost three years. I'm not sure if they will blow up or not, but I've never seen that.

Reply to
Greentruk

Marine batteries are more vibration resistant, and stand the deep discharge of winch duty better. They are not a full deep cycle battery, and are also starting batteries. No problem at all.

Reply to
clare

I remember from some where, there are marine trolling batteries, and marine starting batteries. The marine starting are some where between.

. Christ> Marine batteries are more vibration resistant, and stand the deep

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

replying to Big Red Truck, steve wrote: Curious if it would be OK to run a Crown mar-800 marine battery in my 2008 Jeep wrangler. This battery was a freebie, a friend ordered one to many and I reeped the benefits of that mistake. The Jeep asks for a group 34 with a minimum of 600 cold cranking amps. Its pretty close to the same size.

Reply to
steve

If it nfits it will work

Reply to
clare

replying to Big Red Truck, Steven C wrote: I just installed a Crown marine battery model MAR-800. Before do so I contacted the manufacturer/corporate office and talked with a technical service adviser. Like I said before I told him that I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that requires a minimum of 600 cold cranking amps and a group 34 battery. He said there will be no problem what so ever running my new marine battery in place of my old. He said since it is a marine deep cycle starting battery I would be good to go. And that from the horses mouth.

Reply to
Steven C