More on 700R4 Knocking

First thing. I would like to thank everyone that replied to my post about my knocking transmission. I am not sure if you would call it a knock of a tick (almost like a lifter only at the torque converter). Anyhow it was suggested that I check the flywheel. Well I have taken the flywheel off and had it magnafluxed and dye checked. The flywheel is not cracked. I was told that it might be the torque converter or front pump. Does anyone have any other ideas? Here is a copy of my first post in case someone did not see it. I have a 700R4 that seems to be knocking. When I start my truck I hear a light knocking sound from the area of the torque converter. The noise is there all of the time no matter what gear the transmission is in When shifting from park to reverse the noise stops for about one second but that is all. The noise does not get any louder when you rev the motor, however it does get faster as the RPMs increase. With the truck on a rack you can hear the noise coming from the torque converter. I have unbolted the torque converter from the flywheel and then started the motor. There is no noise with the torque converter unbolted from the flywheel. I have looked at the flywheel and it does not seem to be cracked. Does anyone have any information on this knocking sound?

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Jason S

FIRST:

it is 'the pump'

the last production unit with two pumps was the 64 PowerGlide

yes, it could be converter

not likely to be the pump

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Reply to
Racer-X

Or you could look under the post titled "What broke torque converter" on the

28th and see what he found.

Reply to
Eightupman