motor interchange

Hi all, I have a 1978 GMC Sierra Classic pickup that came from the factory with the Olds 350 diesel engine and TH400 transmission. Somewhere along the line the diesel puked and it was replaced with an Oldsmobile 350 gas engine since all the block mounting points and bellhousing patterns are the same between the two.

I just bought the truck a few weeks ago and the 350 gas motor is tired and about to die, and I just need to keep this thing on the road a little longer.

The present transmission is in pretty decent shape it seems, and still shifts good. I know that the BOP bell-housing pattern is different than Chevy's , so I would have to stick to Buick/Olds/Pontiac engines. My question is, will any V8 work? The older 350 Oldsmobile engines are kind of hard to find around here, but the newer 307's from early 80's cars are pretty common. Would one of those work? How about Buick V8's?

Any input is appreciated.

-Tony

Reply to
kimmell

Easier way than that. Get a BOP-Chevy adapter plate and put a Chevy engine in it. OR find someone with a BOP auto that needs your trans and sell it and buy one with the Chevy pattern.

Jegs part number is 555-60170 54.99

Steve W.

The Olds 307 will work, the Buick engines mounts are different, same with the Pontiac. Keep in mind when looking at engines, while Chevy smog pump motors ported to the exhaust manifolds, Olds put the ports in the heads, so use engine with out the ports. also keep in mind that starting in the mid 80's Olds started using Chevy engines intermixed with the Olds engines during production. But if your inspecting before buying you'll know when you look at them the differences.. If this is something you plan to keep, now might be a good time at looking to go all Chevy.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning