Muncie 4 Speed

I found this Muncie 4 speed on Ebay and I was wonndering if it would be a good buy for my 66 Chevy Pickup

Doc

what's in it now? What's the truck's intended use going to be? Is it a good tranny, the Muncie M20 was knick named the rock crusher for good reason, but your buying site unseen, and shipping is going to be fun, these things had cast iron cases and weigh a ton.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I believe you have the wrong transmission. The "rock crusher" was a M-22, aluminum case, with a fine spline shaft also straight cut gears iirc. But it was a long time ago.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

probably not by the time the bidding is done :(

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Hey Roy. Wanna bet on those straight cut gears?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Your right the M22 was the rockcrusher, so named because of the noise they made, and because they were strong trannies, mated to many big blocks from the factory.

Al's most diffinetly correct, they were not straight cut, but did have about half the angle the M20 and M21 had. The M22 was designed for road racing, not drag racing. The 21 and 22 were close ratio trannies, as such you need low gears in the rear if you want to get off the line with it. The lower angle was to reduce friction and heat, and less thrust on inner components.

Myself, personally, I will take a Saginaw Super T-10 over a Muncie any day. If this truck is going to be a daily driver I want drive a truck not a car kinda thing, I would look at 92 or newer T-5 trannies for the over drive, the reason I asked what's the truck going to be used for. My first V-8 Vega was scratch built in Germany in 77, she would wheel hop one litre beer bottles, and the Muncies grenaded, twice(along with more than a few sets of spider gears). The Saginaws held up. when I got to the states with her, I got a set of Lakewood traction bars and solved the wheel hop problem.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Nah, like I said it was a long time ago.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I need an editor and proof reader, please insert "or" between Saginaw and Super T-10 As to used in the drags, I didn't say it wasn't, only that it was designed for road racing. Alas because of health considerations the new Vega in process in the garage will get an automatic, upside will be a lot easier on the rest of the drive train I think(or perhaps hope) If we were just going to take her to the drags, probably a slush box, but as I want a cruiser most likely a 700R4. There is a Saginaw under the work bench though......

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

On Wed, 31 May 2006 23:32:20 -0700, "Big Al" puked:

That's an editorial on the quality of autos and what can be done with them these days. I'd rather row my own, personally...

lab~rat >:-)

Seen the posting about powerglides, had to put this in, used to have a older, but much loved Chevy Nova, 4 dr, 283 with the 2 speed powerglide, that was the best car, that car would run.

Reply to
Craig M

And I'd bet it got about 22 MPG if you kept your foot out of it too!

Reply to
websurfer