My Ignition wont turn off

I have to wiggle and jiggle the key a whole bunch before it will release enough to turn off my engine. Also noticed that the steering no longer locks when the key is out.

I drive an 87 astro van.

What makes it stick etc. Is it an easy fix ?

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

Your key cylinder is shot and needs to be replaced. It's not easy, but not hard either .

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

Poor quality control is what makes a Strattec, 6 tumbler ignition lock stick when in the On position. Your lock contains 6 tumblers, above each tumbler is a spring that keeps tension on the tumblers. Holding that in place is a retainer cap that is supposed to be staked at each of the 4 corners. I have noticed since the Seventies that these retainer caps come loose and jump upward, jamming the lock and causing it to stick. Since door and trunk locks of your vintage vehicle are basically the same style of lock, it can happen to your doors as well and if you had a trunk, same thing. Some caps stay on well, some don't, I have earned several hundred thousand bucks fixing the problem over the last 28 years. The cure is to remove the lock, take it apart and finish the manufacturing process by staking the cap down solid. Since your vehicle has some age, it would be better to replace with a lock from the dealer, the aftermarket locks are cheapo crap, they are poorly made and have the same retainer cap problem.

I am going to be giving some pictures that I took of your style of column an internet address so they can be accessed by all those who have lock problems.

On the rear of the ignition is a shaft that's several inches lock, it is a link that goes to a plastic gear on the left side of your column (assuming that you have a tilt wheel), above the plastic gear sits the locking pin. When you turn your ignition on, the lock pin follows, when you turn it off, likewise. I would guess that your ignition key is well worn and it is coming out just before the off position but I could be wrong. There is a spring that wraps around the rear of the locking pin, it keeps tension on the pin and if it should break (rare), the column no longer locks.

If you like you can email me for the address of the pictures although I am going to post a link on this group.

As the man said, removing the ignition is not hard but it's also not easy especially if you have never done that job before.

Reply to
Rod Williams

This should help:

rod

Reply to
Rod Williams

Thanks Rod, after reading your info , I figure it must be the rack gear gizmo thats buggered. The key turns just fine, isnt sloppy at all, doesnt come out unless its in the correct position.

Once the car is running, something sticks the key/lock from turning off. , and once you do get it shut off, the sterring lock doent work.

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear