Need Advice. 1969 Chevy P/U Carrier Bearing Noise

Just had local machine shop press on three new U-joints and a new carrier bearing on this 2 driveshaft system. After re-installing the driveshafts, I took a test drive, and after about 2 miles the carrier bearing began to squeak with the rotation of the driveshaft. I confirmed the noise was the carrier bearing after raising the rear end and spinning the driveshaft by hand. I removed the rear u-joint straps and carrier bearing bolts and re-inserted the driveshaft into the transmission seal at one notch over to the left. The noise still exists. There was no previous noise at the carrier bearing before I replaced it, just the grinding, clunking sound from the rear u-joint. Could the new bearing be defective? Will it do any harm if I drive it that way? What else should I test?

Reply to
GlennB

Sounds like a defective bearing, I wouldn't drive it much or at high speeds.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

"" wrote: > Just had local machine shop press on three new U-joints and a > new > carrier bearing on this 2 driveshaft system. After > re-installing the > driveshafts, I took a test drive, and after about 2 miles the > carrier > bearing began to squeak with the rotation of the driveshaft. > I > confirmed the noise was the carrier bearing after raising the > rear end > and spinning the driveshaft by hand. I removed the rear > u-joint straps > and carrier bearing bolts and re-inserted the driveshaft into > the > transmission seal at one notch over to the left. The noise > still > exists. There was no previous noise at the carrier bearing > before I > replaced it, just the grinding, clunking sound from the rear > u-joint. > Could the new bearing be defective? Will it do any harm if I > drive it > that way? What else should I test?

Some of those old carrier bearings were troublesome. I had one in a 66 that had to bee repalced ever 10 to 15k miles or it sqeaked. Sometimes the bearing squeaks and sometimes the slinger ring can "squeak" on the rubber supporting the bearing. (if this is the case, some silicone spray applied from time to time can give some relief) Squeaks are not fatal but can be bothersome. I would try a different carrier bearing if it has a warranty. Also, pay attetion to how it is aligned and postioned in the holes supported the bearing assembly because they can be kinda fussy about that too.

Reply to
SnoMan

Snip

Had a 79 K30. Had to use the front bolt hole on one side and the rear one on the other:) That was the only way to get it to stop vibrating on the highway.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended taking it back to the machine shop and they discovered the original carrier bearing dust covers (they look like flanges) were warped and were rubbing against the rubber surrounding the new sealed bearing. Removing the dust covers solved the chirping problem.

Reply to
GlennB