Neutral Safety Switch 2003 2500HD...

...or not.

I recently had to have the instrument cluster replaced under warranty on one of my trucks. TWICE. They put in the wrong one the first time. Shortly after the second time I got in the truck to move some trailers, and it wouldn't start. Since it also recently ate a battery I was perplexed. Nope, lights were birght, and nothing dimmed or even clicked when I hit the key. Then I noticed the truck was in second gear. Huh? I shifted it back and forth, but as long as the key was on it read second gear. The truck just won't start except in neutral or park. Since the instrument cluster was just replaced I figured they mucked up one of the connections or left it loose and it took a couple days to work loose to the point where it casued a problem. It physically shifted just fine. We had no problems putting in neutral to roll it up on the tilt bed tow truck.

GM roadside picked up the truck and the service writer had it fixed. He said it was a shorted out neutral safety switch and nothing to do with any of their other work. What struck me as odd though was that the didn't have me sign off on the work performed. In the past with multiple trucks they have always had me sign off on any new warranty work and just handed me the keys on anything done as a follow up to previous work.

Its my understanding they don't get paid for warranty work or repairs without a signed off service form.

So my question is... would a "shorted out neutral safety switch" cause the shift indicator to always read that the truck is in second gear regardless of the actually position of the shifter or did the service writer lie to me?

Reply to
Bob La Londe