New Fuel Pump - Now Hard Starting

I have a 99 Suburban K1500 with the 5.7 liter vortec engine. 7 days ago it would not start. It would just crank and crank. I had it towed to my mechanic and it turned out to be the fuel pump. He replaced it 5 days ago and all was well until 2 days ago. Since then it has been taking longer and longer to start. It now takes up to 8-10 seconds of cranking to start every time. Once it starts it runs great - no problems at all. Any ideas on what I can check before taking it back in? Thanks!

Reply to
arjayess

If your mechanic didn't change the fuel filter when he changed the pump, do it b4 you are buying another pump.

Reply to
JR

Do you hear the pump run when you first turn the ignition on?

The fuel pump is wired in parallel, one circuit is thru the fuel pump relay, the other is thru an oil pressure switch.

If the relay circuit fails, the fuel pump will still eventually run if you crank the engine enough to build some oil pressure and close the switch.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

JR,

I just double checked the bill and the mechanic did change out the fuel filter. Maybe it's something else easy?

Reply to
arjayess

I played around with starting the truck and if I hold the key in the run position for several seconds before starting it I hear the pump running and then it fires right up! If I just start it regular with no delay at the run position it takes 8-10 seconds to start. This is starting to worry my wife who is the main driver of the truck! thanks

Reply to
arjayess

Sounds like your fuel system is losing pressure. Could the foot valve on the pump be faulty? (I'm guessing there has to be one) Pete

Reply to
Pete

I've replaced a couple of these. Usually when you start having this problem right after you change the pump, it is a defective pump. I know its hard to shell out the money, but you should only use a Delco pump the other after market ones are junk. I learnt the hard way by having to pull the gas tank out about three times.

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
Doug Adams

Some things your just better off getting Original Equipment! Sometimes it's even cheaper. If you have a Tank Pump that's a hassle to replace, might as well go get a O.E. because you sure as hell don't want to replace it any time soon. I sure in hell wouldn't want to pull my gas tank down once again to replace it once again. If the last one lasted you 9 years and however many miles, that's not bad.

Reply to
JBDragon

Sounds like a defective fuel pump. They are cheaply made, no matter where they come from. Hopefully, your mechanic has a good warranty, on their work. Mine replaced it, at no cost. Since the pump was defective.

Reply to
4546