New Truck Annoyance

Sorry if this shows up twice. My regular news service is acting funny today.

I posted this at the tail end of a new truck review.

2008 1500 5.3L 4WD Etended Cab

There is one little annoyance though, and its not very consistant. I hearan r r r r r r r r r r r sound every once in a while. Lasts for about 1-4 seconds and then stops. Sounds almost like a motor and pump kicking on and off for a couple seconds. If it was a motorhome I'ld think it might be an autoleveling motor. I've usually only noticed it cruising at steady speeds, but I did notice it once backing up at a slow speed. Its not very loud. In fact the first couple times I heard it I wasn't sure it wasn't just some kind of road noise. I know. I know. Brand new truck, just take it to the dealer, but I also know its almost impossible to get a mechanic (at least here) to ever duplicate an intermittant noise. If I could figure out what it is then I could tell them what to check. I have had much better luck getting things fixed that way.

*** Since then I was able to fairly consistantly duplicate the noise at about 46-48 MPH by very very slowly accelerating and decelerating. Basically it would happen when just barely, almost un noticeabley accelerating, and not at all if accelerating any faster. That's not the only speed, but it was the one where I was able to make it happen deliberately.

It does have an after market cruise control, but cruise on or off doesn't seem to make any difference with frequency of the noise normally. Also, the dealer had the cruise installed for me before the purchase as they were unable to find the truck I wanted with a factory cruise. As a side and probably unrelated note: The cruise drifts 4-6 mph depending on circumstances. 2-4 on level to long gentle slopes (no load) and as much as 6 in the whoop dee doos.

Any ideas?

-- Bob La Londe Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River Fishing Forums & Contests

Bob La Londe

Does it have StabiliTrak? You may be hearing the pump cycling. What position is the heat controls in? If defrost mode you may be hearing the compressor cycling.

Reply to
Steve W.