New Truck, break-in period??

Hi, I have a new 2004 Trailblazer, 900 miles on it. It shifts kinda hard into drive & reverse. I had a local mechanic look at this and he said you need to break it in. I'm not sure about this, I think the shifting should be smooth with little bucking. is there truly a break-in period and how much does the cold effect the shifting? Thanks in advance... Tonu

Reply to
Tony D

Stating if it's an automatic or manual transmission might help.

Reply to
Todd Copeland

Reply to
Jeff

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:46:41 -0700, "Jeff" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Actually I use the term more in manuals then automatics, when describing a shifter that is hard going from gear to gear. But that is neither here nor there as I think you are right and talking about an automatic. It almost sounds as if he is talking about the movement of the car when you are in park going to drive or reverse and the car bucks a little bit. i.e. the reason you have your foot on the break. A little buck is normal.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

there is no guess on this one, its not available with a standard transmission Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Reply to
KENG

since when does a Manual transmission have a "drive" position. as he states in the original post

Reply to
thoranw

actually it's not obvious, bucking can be a clutch related problem w/ a manual. manuals can also "shift hard" i.e. have difficulty or a lack of smoothness in the movement of the shift lever, usually when the transmission is cold. my dad's '90 C2500 5sp is a bitch to shift if it's below zero until the truck has been driven about 5 miles.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

It does not... but changing into a "drive" gear can certainlly mean different things to different people. I don't think their clearification is going to bankrupt any 3rd world country. Sheezzz... get over it.

Reply to
Todd Copeland

I guess it's obvious if you read minds. "Shift" can mean different things when speaking of automatic's or manual's. My _manual_ transmission sometimes won't sync when shifting from 1st gear into reverse. The gears just grind until I double clutch or move it back into 1st and then reverse. This happens often on manual transmissions. I'd call that "shifts kinda hard into drive & reverse".

Your use of the English language when typing lead me to believe you might have meant a forward gear when you said "drive". No insult intended.

Reply to
Todd Copeland

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:17:54 GMT, "Todd Copeland" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Usually when talking about automatics I am used to term select as opposed to shift. Guess just to old school.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I can't believe anyone didn't understand it's an automatic. Sheesh, talk about a thread going off topic because people don't read.

Reply to
TaskMule

Reply to
451ctds