New truck questions

I'm looking at purchasing a new truck, probably the 1500 Ext Cab WT w/5.3 engine.

I have a couple of questions. I do a lot of camping and Mtn. Biking.

I currently have a Yakima Bike Rike that mounts on the roof of my '02 Malibu and I noticed that GM sells a hitch mounted bike rack, has anyone used these and can comment about the quality of them? I have a pretty nice Mtn. bike and if I invest this much in a truck, I can invest in a good bike rack. I do want a hitch mounted solution though and one that can house at least three, preferably four bikes.

My second question here is, I have been reading the discussions about Tonneau and hard top covers. How do the locking covers work? I mean, if you lock the top, can't you still just open the tailgate? I would probably like a soft cover w/locking capabilities if possible. If so, what would the group recommend as a easy to install/remove cover to protect camping gear, etc...?

Last and final question is how to protect my bed, I have been reading many good things about the Bed Rug and I think I might lean towards that but I do have concerns about mud or grass if I put the lawnmower or anything back there, can anyone comment on their experience with this product? If I don't go with the Bed Rug I will probably get the Line-X as that seems pretty popular and people seem satisfied with it.

Sorry for all the questions, just getting excited and once I get my new baby, I want to accessorize.

Plus I am heading up to Wisconsin to go camping over memorial day and sure would love to drive the new wheels.

Thanks to all that respond.

Reply to
Xao

why do you need the hithc mounted bike rack, your gonna have a 6' or 8' bed. It seems that your turning a nice capable truck into a overgrown gas hog car. Is there any reason to do so? For the bed liner, Line-X. JMHO

Reply to
mat

If you don't want to put another Yakima rack on top of the truck then get one that mounts in the pickup bed. Forget those silly covers, get a shell if you are really that concerned about theft (a thief will get whatever he wants no matter what) If you mountain bike, you're going to get mud in there anyway. After all, it is a pickupTRUCK, use it like one. Buy a stupid SUV if you want to keep the pickup bed so clean. That defeats the purpose of the vehicle.

Reply to
jj

I have a SR Pendaliner and a Snugtop cover on my Sierra. Once the cover is locked the tail won't open because it is trapped under the lip of the cover. I carry construction tools, camping gear, golf clubs etc... without any problems. I can remove the lid myself (a little difficult) or with a friend (very easy) in order to load my motorcycle up in the back. The truck looks great and does everything I need it to. The snugtop is insulated as well. When I go to the snow everything in the back of the truck stays at a pretty even temperature (my guitars don't warp from the temp changes). Don't know anything about bike racks. my 2c.

Reply to
Bob Truck

Go here

some bike rack options. We have an older model from this companyand it works nice. Has neoprene-padded saddles for the bikes and evenhas locking options.

If you want locking, you better get a hard tonneau. No way you can lock a soft tonneau. If you go this route there ARE options for locking the tailgate, including one that's invisible, works in conjunction with your power locks.

Go here

for infoon that.

I have a Line-X, so do 2 other family members, all of us are happy with them. Real easy to scrub clean, no worries about staining it, just toss the stuff in it and go. Clean up is usually a simple hose-out and it's done.

Good luck in your truck search.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Forgot to add something. I have an Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover. It's a nice unit, it allows full access to the bed (hinge is along the front bedrail). The entire frame, with the exception of one stationary hinge rail, is removeable as one unit, no need to stretch the tarp in cold weather if you can just take the whole frame off as one with the tarp attached. The cover also seals well, I went oofroading and only got a small amount of mud in each of the front corners, and one side was because I had 3 snaps un-done. It IS a soft cover though, so no locking, but it won't lift without opening the tailgate, the tarp will un-snap and roll up for access though.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Hi!

All I can say is that I've seen quite a few of these going down the interstate with three or more bikes often attached. Usually I see them riding on the back of Suburbans or Tahoes. They do seem to be getting more popular. Can't say if I've seen GM units or third party brands.

I just bought a Bedrug a few months ago. It is just as impressive as the manufacturer and others say it is! I do a lot of lawn mowing on family property and as a result I'm usually trailering and hauling around gasoline, oil or batteries in the back of the bed. I spilled some gas on the Bedrug and left it there for a few hours before I could clean it up. When I did get it cleaned up nothing seemed to be damaged in any way.

The Bedrug also smooths out the bumps in the bed where the "rails" are. This is a real knee-saver.

Whenever it gets full of leaves or other junk like grass or small sticks, I just vacuum it with a shop vacuum. It's just like vacuuming a rug.

I did elect to protect my Bedrug from the weather by installing a truck topper as well. Not sure if that's necessary, but I had other reasons for doing it--I also do computer work and it helps me to be able to haul around bunches of computers at once without risk of bad weather harming them.

And if you'd ever have a problem, the Bedrug does carry a lifetime warranty for as long as you own your vehicle. Plus it would seem that the quality is vastly more consistent than a sprayed in liner.

If you'd like to see the Bedrug actually installed in my truck, take a look at:

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

================= You better get that huge oil leak fixed! Looks like the differential is leaking bad! :)

Reply to
Scott M

Guess nobody looked at William's pic....

Reply to
Scott M

wrong...I had to look right away...and I giggled like a little schoolgirl! I was too ashamed to post my response...

Reply to
Bob Truck

Thats what I like to hear, grown men giggling! LOL Thats funny

Reply to
Scott M

Hi!

Wouldn't surprise me that much. Generally speaking the stuff on that server only interests me. ;-)

By the way, for those wondering what the stuff on the floor is (like you don't already know!) it's a rare substance called "water". You don't really want to put it in differentials, engines or anything else that needs oiling, but it is about the best thing around to drink if you don't do alcoholic beverages...

William The Guesser (and Smartacre)

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Hi!

You might as well. I certainly won't care...

William The Guesser (keeping in mind that it's only Usenet!)

Reply to
William R. Walsh

===== It sure does look like oil.... Guess it the way it came out in the pic.

Reply to