Newbie, needs help with G30 Motor Mounts 93 Chev 6.2L v8

Folks, just found this group and am hoping someone has BTDT.

I am having trouble trying to raise the motor to change the mounts. The documentation I have says not to raise it by the pan, which is what I have done with some other cars.

All thoughts appreciated.

Doug Quance

Reply to
Doug

If you can't raise it by lifting it from below via the oil pan, you'll have to use a motor hoist and lift it from above.

Reply to
Advocate

I don't remember what kind of access there is on that model/motor, but I've always lifted engines by jacking up on the harmonic balancer. The older trucks usually allowed you a free run at the balancer.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I have put blocks of wood against the block where the oil pan bolts to. Build up a platform, and lift from below.

Reply to
Bill

Bill: Sounds like the best plan, thanks for the idea. I cant even see how one would remove the engine on this beast, without dropping it out the bottom with the complete front suspension. Hope I never have to find out. :-)

Doug

Reply to
Doug

The grill comes out, pull the ac condenser, pull the radiator and then the top part of the core support comes out(two bolts on each side), then its a clean shot lol. Ahh the joys of working on Vans and Motorhomes. Be damn careful with the blocks of wood against the oil pan rails, no soft ass pine here, because it can split, its bad enough the blocks can kick out and the engine drop, woe to the fingers if that happens and they are in the wrong place. Better to make a "saddle" with front and back" lips" that replaces the jack foot and lift by the balancer, especially if your working on your back, and not on a lift.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning