no 1st gear after warm up

I have a 96 S-10 4X4 with auto trans. 173000 miles. With engine cold, everything works fine but drive 10 miles and I lose 1st gear. IF you shift from N to D you will feel 2 thunks. it will shift into

1st gear but than right away shift to 2nd gear. IF I stop/restart the car (turn it off), I will get 1st gear once and then never again. If I shift to "1" , I believe I am in 2nd gear only because I feel no thunk when I shift to 2nd.

100% fluid change did not do anything.

Can someone point me in a direction to look at? I can't shake the feeling its some external sensor but I don't know where to look.

Reply to
Jmagerl

Sounds like your transmission is going into limp mode(2nd gear). Turning off the ignition resets the fault, but as soon as the computer detects it again, it puts you in 2nd gear automatically.

You need a good shop with the right diagnostic gear(NOT AutoZone).

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian