No Go

First of all I left a dome light on last nite & when I started to leave today ,,, NUTHIN,, just a click. So I got out my 5/16 & pulled the terminal ends from the battery cause they were getting bad,,, cleaned those real good while charging the battery. Got the battery charged up to 13.65 v. Still nuthin. I noticed a "check engine soon" light but don't have a diagnostic tool yet, (X Mas maybe). Isn't there a couple of pins to jump to read the flashing lights & thereby translating the code ??? It's a 1995 GMC Sierra, V

6, 5 speed, tilt, cruise, power, air, yadda yadda. Nice little truck tho. This is the first time I've had it fail me in the 8 years I've had it. Anyway,, I sure would appreciate some help on this. I usually brag about this truck & probably still will. Hopefully this isn't a bad thing. So,, Thanks for your time Richard
Reply to
Rick

. . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D No Go Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sun, Oct 3, 2004, 6:54pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Rick)

First of all I left a dome light on last nite & when I started to leave today ,,, NUTHIN,, just a click. So I got out my 5/16 & pulled the terminal ends from the battery cause they were getting bad,,, cleaned those real good while charging the battery.

Got the battery charged up to 13.65 v. Still nuthin.

I noticed a "check engine soon" light but don't have a diagnostic tool yet, (X Mas maybe).

Isn't there a couple of pins to jump to read the flashing lights & thereby translating the code ???

It's a 1995 GMC Sierra, V 6, 5 speed, tilt, cruise, power, air, yadda yadda.

Nice little truck tho. This is the first time I've had it fail me in the 8 years I've had it. Anyway,, I sure would appreciate some help on this. I usually brag about this truck & probably still will. Hopefully this isn't a bad thing. So,, Thanks for your time =A0=A0Richard

=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D Richard, I don't thunk this is gonna fix yer no crank prob, but here's the link for the code trick as long as your truck has the OBD 1 ALDL setup. Some of the 95 models DID HAVE OBD 2 connectors...you "will" need a scanner if your ALDL connector doesn't look like the one in the article.

Understanding the ALDL Address:

Reading yer post, I'm personally thunk'n you still got yerself a voltage supply problem between the battery and the starter.

Try cutting on the headlamps and see if they dim when you try to start the truck. This is usually a perty good test for a bad battery or bad battery connection.

Try using a set of jumper cables to jump start the vehical using another "running" vehical. If it cranks....recheck your battery and ground connections.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I got a 96 V6, and I too have been in your predicament. The positive terminal has two separate leads that attach at the battery. My battery leads corroded BETWEEN the leads, and after I smartly cleaned everything nice and shiny...still no dice. The leads have four little "tangs" I guess you could call them, and they eroded due to the corrosion and cleaning. So after carefully prying them up to make contact between the leads...vvvvvaaaaavrooom, off she went. I was happy that it was a cheap fix, and only held me up for 30 minutes!

Hope this helps.

[...]

Eightupman

[...]

Well MM, you were right. The Pos sidepost terminal only puts out 9.6 volts,, no matter how much I clean it. The top post terminal is fine (13.7). Then the cable that runs from the pos/batt terminal had low low low continuity (I think it's in the red rubber stuff) & no place to get one today so I'll run to town tomorrow & pick one up. The only one I could find today was at O'Reilly's & ya had to splice the alternator lead onto their 6" pigtail,,,,, so I'll just wait till tomorrow & get the factory one. The diagnostic port info was really helpful too, I'm savin it for future ref. Thanks a million, you just don't know how much you've helped. But Man you were right on track with your diagnosis on the ALDL. I sure do appreciate it too. Maybe I can help you someday. Thank You very very very much for your help Regards Rick

Reply to
Rick