no juice

Got a quick question. My son replaced the starter in his Senoma (95) and now he has no power any place. No lights nothing. Is there a relay someplace that he could have blown. He says the fuses are all good.

Reply to
Willy Wanka

KENG

Now he said that there is only 10 volts in the battery, I mentioned he should charge it before trying to start the truck.

Reply to
Willy Wanka

No he didn't disconnect the battery first. I'm thinking he burned up some kind of relay or something like that.

Reply to
Willy Wanka

Thanks I'll tell him. We are doing this at a distance. He is on one side of the county in a shed and I'm at home with the PC. Icy roads seperate us and I don't plan on being horizintal on the driveway.

Reply to
Willy Wanka

Put a good charge on the battery and if that doesn't work he should look around for a wire that is charred. These systems are protected with a fusible link which is a wire that is designed to melt at a certain amperage. Once he finds it he should cut out the old one and replace it with a new one. He will know where to cut is as the link is spliced in at the factory so he should splice the new one in at the same location. The dealer or parts store will tell him how to change it.

good luck, mark

Reply to
r_d

Hi!

Always (!) remove the battery! I know from personal experience changing the starter on an '84 Sierra that there are just too many ways that hot line will go to ground and at the very least blow a fusible link. At the worst, it might ruin the whole truck and your day.

It would be my guess that a fusible link opened up and that the battery is sitting at 10V now because it was suddenly and severely drained of its energy. The battery could also be damaged, but I think that only putting it on a charger will prove that.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh