NO MORE CROSS LINE SERVICE

Only one Chevy dealer here, and I haven't had the best impression of their service department. I have always taken my trucks down the road to the GMC dealer who always seemed to be eager to take care of me. Now I am told they can no longer do warranty service for Chevy at GMC dealers. Until recently the GMC dealer was not just helpful, but actually seemed eager to take care of me. They told me they were more than happy to take care of my Chevy trucks. The higher ups at GM said, "No more."

No big deal in a city that has a dozen or more dealers of each like Phoenix or LA, but here there is only one so you don't have a choice. Being able to take things to either dealer gave a person some options regarding service, personalities, etc...

I may have to look at some other options for my next truck or three.

Heck. I'ld switch to buying GMCs in the future, but the GM dealer never seemed to be able to hook me up regarding price. I am a small commercial buyer and have bought 5 new trucks in the last four years. The commercial sales office at the Chevy dealer took care of me and didn't waste my time on the sales end.

When you only have one place to do business with for service you get a certain amount of, "Where the only show in town. If you don't like the way we do business tough. Do without." A lot of businesses here are like that, but its frustrating.

I have a relative who retired from GM at the corporate level I could talk to about it, but basic customer service options should be able to be handled without having to beg and plead for favors from the higher ups. Besides I doubt he could do anything about a current policy decision anyway. I suspect he could give me somebody to complaint to though. Is it worth it? Maybe. Ford and Dodge are solo dealers in this area too. Not a whole lot of options there either. Atleast with the GM and Chevy dealers you had a choice between one or the other for the same basic truck, and for service on them. Not anymore.

I was actually ready to give the Chevy dealer's service dept another chance until Tuesday when they backed my brand new truck into a corvette. Sure they will fix it, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place, and I already have an unpleasant, rushed, and uneasy feeling towards that service department. Sure accidents happen, but this isn't the first time my experience there left me feeling frustrated.

Any current GM Execs out there reading this? Cutting off avenues of service may cost you this customer. Of course I'm sure my lousy couple dollars doesn't mean a thing to you guys.

Ah, give me a break guys, I'm venting right now. I do like the truck I just bought even if the back bumper is now impregnated with particles from a corvette. If this is the only way its going to be though I will go back to considering all different makes for future purchases.

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

Did you get this right from the "higher ups"...or is this just what the dealership told you? Perhaps it's different in Canada, but up here, you can get your GM vehicle worked on at any dealership....except for Cadillac vehicles. But nobody else wants to work on Caddies anyway.

They tried this years ago here in Canada, but the customers put up such a stink that they dropped it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I work at a Chevrolet only dealership. That must be a regional thing, We can crossline warranty here, its supposed to be for emergency situations as stated before or if we sold the vehicle as used and within the 3yr 36k bumper to bumper, but it seems that we go further than that at times. I don't recall an armrest falling off a Pontiac an emergency situation, LoL... They were taken care of. I'd suggest maybe calling 1-800-CHEV-USA and see if they have any definate answers for you.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

Yeah, our dealership used to have a night shift. Some of the boys that are still around worked it and said it was basically an "animal act". You wouldn't catch me working the graveyard shift.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

That seems to be the case at the local GMC dealership. I personally know of two junkie mechanics, fired by other shops, who have found a happy home at the 24-hour GMC service department.

I was unaware of this problem at the time I took my 1990 Chevrolet C-1500 to this dealership.

Reply to
One-Shot Scot