Not a truck, but a GM

2000 pontaic sunfiire. 210,000 km. worked fine, turned it off. Now it won't start. It cranks, but won't start. I know it is a broad question, but what are the possible causes? They (neighbours car) haven't scanned for codes. Fuel pump runs. Ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Bad cell in the battery? Worn out battery cable? Bad starter? Bad fuel pump that runs intermittently? And so on and so on.

Reply to
4546

More often than not the timing chain broke or jumped out of time.

Reply to
nonsense

Bad cell in the battery? Nope it cranks over like new. (read original post) Worn out battery cable? (ditto) Bad starter? (ditto) Bad fuel pump that runs intermittently? (fuel pump runs..so i have been told) And so on and so on. Anymore smart remarks (yes it has a/c, auto, silver in color, headlights work and they have changed the Halogen fluid....LOL)

Thanks for the enthusiastic help.

Anyone out there with real world experience on common probs with Sunfires that my indicate a possible solution?

Ian, you out there? What are the most common probs with these cars that could cause this. Yeah I know as I said it's a broad question. But there must be common probs that could be checked...... Fuel regulator...ignition switch...etc Ideas's? What's a common failure point on a sunfire to make it fail to start.....

This is not my car, it is my neighbour. Anyway I am outta here on vacation for 11 days. Please reply. I will check responses later.

Thanks again,

That was discussed over an open hood. :o) apparently the timing belt hasn't been changed...............

Hi!

Just because the fuel pump runs doesn't mean it is doing enough. Check the pressure the pump is putting out if you can.

Also look at the ignition system. The fact that it failed after running (and presumably being "hot") would seem to point this way.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Took a survey did ya moron?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Maybe because none of the engines available in that model year Sunfire used a timing belt.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

plonk

Reply to
nonsense

It's not like I was going to ask to see it moron.

Okay, no survey... ... claims amount to noises from ass crack.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Well check for Spark, Compression, and FUEL. Needs all 3, if it doesn't have one of them, it won't run. Find which one it is and narrow your problem down.

Reply to
JBDragon

Thanks guys. I will relay the info to the neighbour.

If that's the case, when it cranks it will sound different. Don't these motors have a crank position sensor that fails?

Reply to
Meat Plow

First thing to do is figure out if it has spark, then fuel.......go from there.

If it has spark then check the fuel pressure.

Which motor is it btw?

Reply to
ScottM