O2 Heater Malfunction...

I have a 2001 Silverado 2500 with the 6.0L.

I have a service engine soon light come on. I had it read for me and I got the error O2 sensor heater malfunction sensor 1 bank 1.

Any ideas about this? A mechanic friend warned about just replacing the sensor. Said that was a bad idea because it could be a lot of things causing it.

I don't even know where the sensor is.

Looks like I am headed for a dealer...

Thanks

Reply to
Tim S.

The sensor is located on the driver's side exhaust manifold. If it's giving you a heater error, the sensor is bad. While there are 02 codes that can have a plethora of causes, the heater malfunction is almost always the sensor itself.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks Doc.

When I look up O2 sensor it looks like there is two.

One for before the Catalyst and a different kind after it.

Any idea which one the bank 1 sensor 1 is?

Thanks!

-Tim

Reply to
Tim S.

Its the one before the cat (closest to the engine.) Replace that sucker yourself and save a bundle..... Your truck is old enough that it should get a new one anyway (if the mileage matches the year)

Reply to
Scott M

Thanks! Is that on the drivers side or passenger?

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Shephard

Never mind ;-) I just re-read Docs reply and he said the drivers side.

So, drivers side before the cat near the engine.

Thanks for the help.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Shephard

Oh for shit's sakes now you've irritated me. I said, in my ORIGINAL POST:

"The sensor is located on the driver's side exhaust manifold"

Which part of that wasn't EXPLICITLY clear?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Yikes!.

I thought I corrected myself Doc.

I gave you credit and thanked you.

So.... thanks again and don't mind us non mechanic types ;-)

Reply to
Tim S.

I was able to replace the sensor, thanks to the help here. I cleared the code with a obd II reader I borrowed. I guess time will tell if it fixed it. I cleared it once before with the old sensor in place and the code came back a week later. Of course I only drive it three or four times a week.

It wasn't too bad at all besides busting open my knuckle ;-(

I tried to test for the heater on the old sensor with my meter and could not find a heater ohm's on across any of the leads. So, it looks like the heater is open.

Does anyone know which wires have the heater on them?

-Tim

Reply to
Tim S.