ODB II codes set

Hi all, I have in our shop a 2003 GMC 3500 DRW chassis-cab with an onboard air compressor installed, the compressor is PTO operated and uses an electronic throttle controller to regulate engine rpm based on air demand....The truck worked fine for 3700 miles, and then began to run poorly, wouldn't go more than 20 mph, and displayed a "low engine power" light. The truck was towed to a dealer, GMC tech cleared the codes, and the truck now runs fine, but the tech implied to our customer that the elctronic throttle controller was at fault for setting the codes. At this point the truck and compressor are both operating normally, but I'd like to determine what caused the fault, to try to prevent it from happening again. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them. Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Ed White

As a followup to the original post, I have obtained a copy of the dealers paperwork to the customer, it explains the codes: Driveability Concern Customer states that vehicle intermit has no power, won't go over 20 mph and reduced engine power light comes on. Tech found codes P1125 for APP sensor circuit1, P2120 for APP system. Tech found system wired aftermarket, needs to go to body company.

The body company, of course, is me....we have dozens of these electronic throttle controls on the street, with few problems, and never anything that sets codes on the base vehicles. I'd like to dig a litle deeper into this, but do not own a scanner for these vehicles. Again, any ideas, I'm all ears. Ed

Reply to
Ed White

((APOLLOGIES no cut and paste--technical prob))

Ed, I'd would personally step back from situation, take a look at the numbers, and hopefully find that the shops "warranty" repairs were still BELOW predetermined levels.

Cudos to you for addressing "your" customer concerns in such a deliberate maner. Not only have you shown that you are willing to obtain out-of-shop tech help (you did accept financial responsibillity!!??? ) , you have also shown that after only ONE repair failure ....you care enough to address the technical aspects now instead of after a patern is established. Two outstanding characteristics of a reputable and professional shop, a credit to the trade.

Reply to
Scribb Abell