Oh crap, flubbed distributor install 85 Chevy Silverado!@#$%

Ok, I actually have installed a distributor before on several pontiacs and this should have been no different but...

I made multiple markings to insure that I pull the distrubutor straight out and put the new one straight back in yes? I absolutely did not move the truck or turn the crank. But when I sat the new distributor in place the rotor position is about 1 inch clockwise away from the original. Is this OK? Is there anyway to recover from this without going though all of that TDC riggamarole? Or am I ok and should I just crank it up?

Reply to
CarGuy

Ok, yes I have installed distibutors before on numerous Pontiacs but...

I pulled the old distributor straight out and the new distributor straight in. I made several markings before hand to ensure that I would place the distributor in exactly the same position. And yet when I seat the distributor fully in place, the rotor is about 1 inch clockwise away from the original position. Am I still ok, should I just put everything back and crank it up? I would hate to go through all of that TDC mess.

Reply to
CarGuy

Pull it back out and start 1" counterclockwise, it's rotating as the gears engage.

DJ

Reply to
DJ

Exactly, he's off a tooth or two. He might have to manually rotate the oil pump shaft as well to get the whole thing to go together correctly.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Ok, so are you saying move the rotor back counterclockwise 1" because it only fully seats in one position. I tried doing just that and position it exactly as it was it just doesn't seat fully.

Reply to
CarGuy

This sounds like I will have to do this. But how do I rotate the oil pump shaft? And will this throw off the timing?

Reply to
CarGuy

Also in which direction can you rotate the oil pump shaft? can you back it out to quarter turn to where it is suppose to be or do you have to move it all the way forward until it gets back to the proper position???

Reply to
CarGuy

The oil pump is a simple gear pump. You can move it in either direction as much or as little as you want. You will need a long flat screwdriver or some other tool. Some of us have an old distributor shaft w/o the gear to turn the pump with. Takes quite a bit of guesstimating to get the sweet spot as the distributor turns while you guide it into position because the gears are not straight (spur) gears. Anyway, your oil pump should be close as all you did was remove the old distributor and you didn't turn the engine - right?

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Yes, I DID NOT CRANK THE ENGINE. but I thought that the rotor also had to to facing in the exact same direction as it did when you pulled the old distruburtor out? Also using an old distributor to manipulate the pump is a great idea I was thinking about just that.

Reply to
CarGuy

Ok, I tried the screw driver it didnt seem like i was moving anything. i can't see anything so I am going by feel. I am assuming that i push down on the oil pump gear, yes? Also, how would I convert an old distributor to turn the oil gear for me?

Reply to
CarGuy

The oil pump shaft is slotted. The end of your distributor fits into the slot. The camshaft turns the distributor, the distributor turns the oil pump. Because you are one or two teeth off on the cam gear, this means the pump shaft has turned as well, and you will not be able to get it to line up correctly without rotating the OP shaft.

Look down the dizzy hole and you'll see it. Do NOT push down on it, just slide the flat screwdriver into the slot and it will freely turn in either direction.

You need to start inserting the distributor with the rotor facing counterclockwise from where you want it to be. The gears are angled so as the dizzy slides in the rotor will rotate clockwise to where you want it to be. Unless the OP shaft is in the correct position it will not sit all the way down against the intake manifold like you describe above.

As long as the motor hasn't been turned from where you left it, you're still in good shape.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Look at the bottom of the distributor shaft. It looks like a flat bladed screwdriver. You do not have to push down. Just feel for the slot and engage it to turn the pump. The distributor shaft removed from the distributor body and w/o the gear can be used to turn the pump. No offense but by now I would have either gotten the thing running or found someone who can. Are you sure you can handle this job?

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Hey guys...keep in mind that he hasn't "cranked the motor"...but no one has asked if the vehicle has been bumped or rolled whilst in gear...which, of course, is as bad as "cranking". I just put a new distributor into my '97 Sierra 5.7 last week (stupid tabs for the cap screws had cracked) and made sure that nothing touched my truck while the dis' was out...and yes...the dis' does have to start almost a quarter of a turn from your alignment marks in order to fall into the original position. I was pleasantly suprised at how easy it was. I am sorry that you are having problems.

Reply to
Bob Truck

As a matter of fact I do take offense. If I knew exactly what the deal was I wouldn't need to ask questions on a newsgroup now would I. Not to mention I am only able to spend 15 minutes a day looking at it since I have something called a job, so I won't be able to do any real work on it until this weekend, MEANWHILE ... I am asking questions before hand so I don't just jump right in and create even more work for myself (because I have found it is always best to ask lots of questions first and look stupid, then creating a simple mistake that will cost me a brand new engine ...don't you agree?). And no offense but what would spur a person to say such an asinine thing?

Reply to
CarGuy

It's not uncommon for the oil pump shaft to turn a little when wiggling out the distributor, the helical cut of the cam / distributor gears make this challenging, especially when it's a seldom performed task. A junk distributor, with no cam gear works well on many engines, but not on GM's which use the distributor gear to turn the oil pump shaft.

Rotate engine to align timing marks at TDC, locate # 1 spark plug terminal, install distributor so rotor points to # 1 when fully seated.

Since your engine * did not * turn, I'm guessing the oil pump shaft turned a little, preventing the distributor body from fully seating.

Running the engine without fully seating the distributor will cause no oil pressure, forcing the distributor into the hole by using a breaker bar to tighten hold down clamp will break the plastic coupler that holds oil pump shaft to oil pump.

Figuring out how much to turn the oil pump shaft is pure guesswork, be patient, and be rewarded.

Reply to
451ctds

The way I see it, if you guys can't help CarGuy out you should shut the F up...

Good luck with your project, CarGuy!

Reply to
vb

Well, You jumped in and changed a distribute without checking first or your wouldn't be in this position. You cannot tell that the shape of the bottom of the distributor shaft looks like a screwdriver. You have no idea what the oil pump looks like much less how it operates or what drives it. You cannot look at a helical cut gear and tell that it would turn as it goes into mesh. You cannot figure out how to use an old shaft to turn the distributor and are unable to determine that the gear needs to be removed and this is only after failing to use a simple screwdriver to accomplish the simplest of feats.

I dunno but I think you may not be up to the job.

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

In this case, no.

Reply to
vb

Up to the job and finished, jack.You know that is why people post to newgroups so that other can impart their wisdom. You obviously have none so you feel the need to make inane comments. I do not do this for a living it is merely a pasttime. I build N-Tier applications for a living do you know how to do that? Obviously you are a very "small" man to feel the need, in a vain attempt, to belittle people in a public forum. Next time unles it is constructive keep your comments to your self. Because it is actually you who ends up looking like an idiot.

Reply to
CarGuy

Hi!

Geeze, you can't even seem to tell somebody off the RIGHT way.

And it still has nothing to do with installing a new dizzy.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh