oil

Hi all: I would like to know if any of you have a 5.3 Chevy engine I have an avalanche 2002 and at 3 thousand mile I am down 1qt plus a tad more is this normal OH I USE MOBIL 1 5-30 Any comments Thanks Pete

Reply to
PETE

I have a 2003 Silverado with a 5.3 and my oil Level doesn't go down at all. I have a little over 10,000 miles on it. I thought I didn't drive that much. Your putting on around 1000 miles a year. Sounds like it's sitting a lot. Which can be BAD on a car. Seals start drying out, You end up with leaks. Synthetic Oil is thinner then normal oil. You shouldn't be using Synthetic Oil in your Engine until it's had a chance to brake in. I'd use Regular Oil for at least the first couple Oil Changes. Or 6,000 or so miles. For what kind of driving it seems like your doing, I'd stick with some good Regular oil and change it once a year. Dumping 6 quarts of expensive Mobil 1 every year driving only a 1000 miles is a waste anyway. If anything using Mobile 1 you should be able to get 6,000 to 8,000 miles between Oil changes, with just changing the filter every 3,000 miles or so. Or Once a year whichever comes first.

Reply to
JBDragon

Thanks I am going to take your advice and go to 6000 miles between changes and change the filter in-between. This has been going on since I bought the truck. How about going to a heavier oil say 10-30 any thoughts. Motor runs like a charm and don't some one once said it could be the PCV valve. Well you guys are very nice to respond again thanks . Regards, Pete

Reply to
PETE

Using a quart every 1K miles is "NORMAL" according to Chevrolet on the newer engines, especially the 8.1L! I know, I have the '02 8.1L and have fought the fight...... Mine uses a quart in 1K miles if I'm towing my fifth-wheel a bunch or doing a lot of hightway driving. Less highway and it will use a quart in 2K miles. Just dumped a quart in yesterday. I run 10W-30 all year round on that monster.