Oil change place tried to rip me off . ..

My Chevy S10's battery was replaced about a year ago, and it's been working just fine. I took the truck in for an inspection and oil change today. Halfway through, they told me the battery was bad, that it wouldn't turn the engine over. They turned the ignition key, and the dashboard lights came on, and the truck made clicking noises (from the starter/solenoid). They also told me the differential oil (standard xmission) had to be changed (I thought that stuff was good pretty much forever; they said it had to be replaced every 15,000 miles).

Well, they tried to sell me a new battery for $70, but I said no. I also turned down the differential oil change. They said they'd jump start the engine when they were done. They didn't have cables, so they borrowed some from another customer. The customer's jumper cables were neatly rolled up and in a plastic case, so I figured something was fishy when they managed to get my truck started, and then get the cables rolled up neatly and replaced in the plastic case within

1 minute of starting the engine. Seemed to me they didn't even use 'em.

I drove all over town doing errands all day, parking, starting & stopping, with no problems from the battery. I did, however, take the truck to the dealer to have them grease the front end (the oil change place told me they greased it, but I didn't want to put my truck at their mercy) . . .

Sheesh . . .

Lousy rip-off grease monkeys --

Tockk

Odds are they simply loosened the positive batter terminal to cause that particular "problem" then retightened it when you didn't bite. I'd remove it and clean it to make certain. Differential lube, especially on a limited slip, does need replacing once in a while for proper function. But not every

15,000 miles. More like 50,000 miles for light normal use. Heavy use or trailer towing I'd do it every 25,000.
Reply to
Augustus

2 years or 24,000 miles is the major service, diff, tranny, brake system flush, power steering flush, on top of oil change, fuel filter, lube, air filter and bearing repacks if it doesnt have sealed hubs in front. Of course all that info is in your owners manual, and is recommended at sooner intervals is the vehicle sees severe duty, like short trip stop and go, or towing.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

They try to rip people off, that is for sure. I remember I was in Virginia, and I needed a oil change. I told the guy "Do NOT check anything out. It is all good. I just need the oil changed." So I watch them get started, and sure enough they start taking my air filter apart, checking the fuel filter, coolant, all the stuff I knew was alright already (and honestly, I do my own oil changes too, but I was out of town)! So I went out there and double checked everything. That made me mad. If it isn't broke, leave it alone! Make sure you tell them to keep their mitts off your ride.

the_Host

Which reminds me of another story...

I was in a band once, One night after practice we get ready to leave and the drummer's car is dead. Out of nowhere some bum shows up and says, "I'll fix it!" So he hangs out and goes right to the problem and it starts working. Then he wanted hand-outs. I do not know for sure he was the culprit, but it was just too much of a coincidence.

the_Host

Yup, forever is a long time. I replace my transmission, transfere case, differential and brake fluids around 25K miles. In addition I have a reverse flush of the transmission done every 50K miles.

Reply to
Ed H.

Hi!

Just one more reason to do it yourself. Then you know what has or has not happened.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I bought a truck from a guy who always went to one of the iffy lube places for his oil changes and he saved every receipt. I went thru the receipts and found that he regularly got the oil changed about every 4000 miles and at almost EVERY oil change they also put a new air filter on it.... I bet they loved to see him come in the door.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher