Oil cooler line leaking at radiator

I have a 1999 Suburban K1500 (5.7 liter Vortec) with 130,000 miles that has developed a leak around the upper oil cooler line fitting where it enters the radiator on the driver's side. A mechanic replaced the fitting and line claiming the the line had a pinhole in it but it is still leaking. Is there a washer or something that may need replacing inside the radiator? If so, is this an easy fix (just remove the fitting, replace the washer, replace the fitting and refill with coolant)? Or does the radiator need removed and/or replaced?

Thanks, Arjay

Reply to
arjayess

Arjay,

I've been down this same road before and it's a pretty easy fix unless the actual bung for the cooler line is broken internally. There are 2 types of o rings designed for these lines (one I believe is flatter than the other). I didn't chance it with my 95 so I bought both o rings just in case. I didn't pay attention to torque ratings on the nut but as I recall it needs to be good and tight. A T wrench likely would have been a safer bet but I was lazy and anxious. Mine has been leak free for over a year now since I replaced the o ring. I tried to 'fix' it with gasket seal, etc and nothing seemed to last like the proper OEM o ring. I would think the mech would fix this as it seems like he missed the boat the first time round. That's just my opinion and it's not worth anything more than you take it as...

Good luck. Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

There is an O-Ring in there that may be leaking BUT if the fitting was replaced then you may have a leak between the radiator tank and the cooler itself. Clean it off VERY well. Then dust it with a bit of baby powder. Start the engine and look for the spot where the powder gets oily. Should show you if the leak is the fitting or the cooler itself. If it's the cooler nut leaking then you might find a good radiator shop that would be willing to repair it. But the usual option is to pull the radiator and replace it.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks, Andrew. Is that o-ring external to the radiator or does it go on the inside of the radiator?

Arjay

Reply to
arjayess

Reply to
glorykeys

VERY common problem on GM vehicles is the line rusts inside the crimped fitting that attaches the rubber to the hard line, the crimp swells, and the joint leaks. Sometimes you can make up a new line using the old hard-line and new hose with clamps, but generally easier, although more expensive, to get ready made replacement lines.

Some Fords suffer from the same malady

Reply to
clare