oil in radiator

i was wondering this morning i started my 99 chevy p/u got part way in road and it dies was running fiine night before when i check my oil it was ok but the radiator had oil in it could you give me a idea why there would be oil in radiator

Reply to
pepsiguy555

Automatic transmission cooler tube in rad leaking is most likely. Also possibly a head gasket leat - between oil gallery and coolant galleries.

Reply to
clare

Could also be engine oil, GM has engine oil coolers in the radiator as well as trans coolers.

What color is the oil? red/pink - trans fluid amber/dark brown/black - engine oil

What engine? Model?

Reply to
Steve W.

Could also, on some models, be the "sandwich" oil cooler at the filter mount which transfers heat between the coolant and lubricant.

Reply to
clare