oil pressure

I've just built an engine and want to be sure its oiling correctly. I primed up the engine and was able to hold 15psi using my drill and an old distributor shaft. I'm not getting oil out of my pushrods. Is 15psi enough to push oil out the pushrods, or does the engine need to be running to get oil out the pushrods? Thanks in advance for your help!

Reply to
Big Dope

"Big Dope" wrote: > I've just built an engine and want to be sure its oiling > correctly. I > primed up the engine and was able to hold 15psi using my drill > and an old > distributor shaft. I'm not getting oil out of my pushrods. > Is 15psi enough > to push oil out the pushrods, or does the engine need to be > running to get > oil out the pushrods? Thanks in advance for your help!

You are fine, they will not all flow oil because it will only flow when lifter is not compressed against a valve spring tightly. It will flow fine when you start it up. Sounds like you have done your homework on priming the oiling system. Good Job !

Reply to
SnoMan

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Dan Calhoun

15 PSI is fine. I would not be concerned. Also, I have been known to coat engine bearings with a mixture of STP and motor oil and crank engine over until oil pressure shows up and then switch on the fire.
Reply to
SnoMan

I see oil entering the lifters with 15psi, I was just concerned that it wasn't enough. My drill's only running 500 rpm too. I bet with the unit fired up, I'll have much higher pressure. With all of the gears, I bet my

500 rpm from my drill is equivalent to 200-400 rpm for the engine.

Thanks for the >>

Reply to
Big Dope

actually, your drill's 500 rpm is equal to 1000 'real' RPM; since the distributor turns once for every 2 crank rev's

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Good point. For some reason, I was thinking the opposite ratio (1:2 vs

2:1).
Reply to
Big Dope

Good point but that is no load drill speed and with a load it may be between 350 to 400 RPM and therfore equal to 700 to 800 RPM. If I had

5 PSI or less I would be concerned but not with 15 PSI
Reply to
SnoMan

WHAT size Drill

1/4 1/2 3/4 ??

Just do as I did in the 1960 REMOVE all the spark plugs , squirt a small amt of oil into each Cylinder..

NOW roll the engine over with the STARTER .. OIL pressure shud go to at LEAST 45lbs

this method allows for the priming of the lifters as will as lubrucating all the moving parts including the ROCKERS and Cam Bearings .. Your engine is well lubracated before actually starting the engine !

Reply to
no one

Thanks for this post, I am about to bring back into service a boat that has been in storage for 6 yrs and this is the method I planed to use. The engine has been "pickled" so it was stored will oil already in the cylinders but I planed to shoot some more in there and let the excess blow out the plug holes.

thanks, mark

Reply to
r_d

I had better clarify .. DONNOT reinsert the plugs before running the starter .. Due to lack of compression the engine will roll over REAL FAST so as to bring up the pressure .

Reply to
no one

Maybe but that depend a lot of engine type, starter speed and oil as well. You are not likely to see anyway near that with 5w30 at cranking speed and besides it is not needed either at that speed anyway. 45 to

50 PSI above 1600 RPM or so is different. Do not place much concern on this reading.. Watch it when it fires up and as engine warms up too because that is far more meaningfull than priming pressure with a drill. Also I would not squirt oil in cylinders and motor it over as it will be more to clear out when engine fires first time.
Reply to
SnoMan