Old chevy mpg

Hello.

I tried this in another forum, got 1 response (at least, my server only showed me 1 response). So I figured I'd try it here.

I realize that this probably question will probably make me look somewhat stupid, but I have the chance to purchase a Chevy 65 half ton pickup, with a

292 in it. I'm not exactly sure of the gears though, and the guy who's selling it said it looked like a 350 (?). It's has an auto 3 speed. Single Carb if that makes a difference.

What should the mpg be? When I asked him, he said it could be around 20. That seems a bit high for me (knowing that other trucks "in the family" get worse than that). And as extremely excited I'd be about that (or hell, 15), that number just doesn't seem to be realistic. From the people I've asked, I've gotten the impression that it would be (if I'm lucky) single digits if I'm lucky.

I would much rather have 15 than 8, but 8 just seems more realistic.

thanks to anyone who can help

Reply to
Dan

Dan,

My buddy has a 64' Long-Bed, Fleetside with a 292 I-6, 2BBL carb, and

3-speed standard tranny. Not sure of Gear ratio. He gets around 10 MPG, unladen.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

scribbled:

I figured thats what the truck I'm looking at would get. I was hoping for more, but not expecting it to be more.

thanks.

Reply to
Dan

I had a 65 with a 283/powerglide...it got around 12-14

Reply to
jason

I should say it got 12-14 with a 2brl carb.

Reply to
jason

the old 1967 chevy PU with a 250 inline 6 and three speed did about 18 MPG

Reply to
Hardpan

jason scribbled:

it has a 1 brl, as I understand it.