opinions?

I need opinions on 4 issues: (97 Chev 1500 4.6L 5speed)

  1. TIRES -235/75/15 - My spare is a brandnew uniroyal Tiger-paw. I need 4 new tires. I was going to get 3 matching tires to my spare to save $$$ because that is an issue. However I have been told that Tigerpaw tires are garbage. I need more opinions please on what to do.

  1. O2 SENSORS - The truck is starting to miss a bit and am assuming it is the O2 sensors. I don't know if they have ever been changed (151000kms/94000mi) Apparantly there is 4. Should I just change all 4? or is there a way to test them to see if they work?

  2. A/C BELT - The truck has a/c but I was thinking of (to increase power/save the bearing/ increase fuel economy) to put a different belt on that is designed for trucks w/o a/c. Is this a good idea? Will it work?

  1. GEARBOX - It seems when the truck is in neutral with clutch in, when i release the clutch there is a whirring sound, very faint that sounds like a bushing or bearing is starting to go. Can someone confirm this please?

'luckystrike' sent me this, is this what he is referencing?

" The input shaft on the tranny just sticks into this bronze bushing. As it wears, the input shaft vibrates, and causes undue wear on the input shaft bearing. If you change the pilot bearing, put it back together, and it still chatters, your input shaft bearing is worn. "

Thank-you in advance!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I installed 4 new tires (not the tigerpaws) and did an alighnment so please disregard question #! (unless of course you feel like commenting) I have 2 other questions.... My reverse lights will not go on immediately after shifting into reverse. even if i shift in and out or start moving in reverse they will not come on. I have to wait for a minute or so before they click on. Any ideas?

My Gas gague registered full today but it was completely empty (I ran out of gas) I put in 5.00 from a jerry can and it registered just over empty. Any ideas?

Reply to
Rich

Buy a new truck!

Rich wrote:

Reply to
Mike

I'm hoping to get a few more intellectual answers than this. some people (myself included) prefer to put a little time/effort and pride into their vehicles.

go buy a Ford if you want to buy a new truck every 150 000!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

The reverse switch is flaky, so clean or change it. I'm not sure if it's on the tranny or the shifter linkage on your truck. Get a manual of some kind for it. If it's external, it could just need adjusting.

Because it changed after you put gas in, I'd suspect the sender in the tank. But it's a PITA to change, so I'd be sure first.

Throwing parts at a truck is a bad habit to get into. More likely your injectors need cleaning. No way to tell without sticking it on a machine. How old are your plugs? Had a tuneup anytime soon?

Bad idea. Everyone I've seen do this has ended having more problems because of the pump sitting up without circulating.

Well, what he says is true, but your symptoms are typical of a throw out bearing. Not really much to do about it at this point until the sound changes. Crap built up can make them noisy for a little while, then the sound fades. If the sound changes for the worse, you will need to change it, and of of course the clutch, pressure plate, and pilot shaft bushing while you have it out. If you press lightly on the clutch, just barely making contact, do you feel any vibration?

Reply to
John Alt

Filled up today and everything seems to be back to normal. Maybe it is just when it gets bone dry?

I did plugs, K&N filter, rotor (no cap cause they gave me the wrong one), cleaned the cap, fuel filter and PCV valve. I have yet to do an oil change (looking for advice) drive train fluids, fuel system or wires. It's not missing bad, barely noticeable actually, but on the highway, revving high in 4th you can feel it a bit.

Thank-you, that was the answer I was looking for

Not sure yet, but I will get back to you. Is this a big job? Is this something I should tend to right away or just wait until there is most definately a problem?

Thank-you very much for your advice. You saved me an a/c pump and 400.00 worth of O2 sensors!

Reply to
Rich

Probably. Don't let your tank go below about a quarter or so, anyway. That way the fuel pump stays covered in fuel, which is it's only method of cooling. Fuel pumps aren't cheap or fun to change.

Why oh WHY do people keep sticking these K$N pieces of crap on trucks? You need to change the fuel filter. Do that first before you do any diagnostics.

Like I said, if the noise gets worse, or you feel a grinding when you step on the clutch, you need to do the work. Otherwise I'd wait. It's a large project, but it's not hard to do. I wouldn't recommend tackling it yourself if you've never done one before. I'm not sure on this truck what the exact number is, but labor would be less than 200 for the change, even at a dealer. You can figure just over 100 for parts at NAPA or some other place similar, and about twice that at the dealer. Don't skimp on clutch parts. Get NAPA or dealer.

Reply to
John Alt

======================= O2 not going to cause a miss. try plug wires

what the guys said about the tranny = true

belt. Just leave it be and dont turn on the air.

tires: the tigerpaw is probably old and will probably seperate, I would just get 4. might even put one of your old ones in place of the tiger if you can confirm how old it is.....or not....

Reply to
Scott M