orifice tube

Hi all. Got a lil' question. Have a buddy with a 95 s-10, 4 cyl. He wanted to save some cash by doing his own ac work. He asked me to evac and charge it when he was done. It didn't seem to work well, low side was reading 70, high around 200. I then asked him what direction he put the orifice tube in. He seems to have installed it backwards. I have never put one in backwards, so I'm wondering if the ac would work right with it reversed.Thx.

Reply to
crashmaster

I don't know if you can install the tube backwards, but if he's got a

70psi low side with the comp running, he's got it waaaaaaaaay over charged... should be in the neighborhood of 35psi with the engine at 2k rpm.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

No. The orifice tube is designed to be pointing a certain direction to spray the refrigerate.

How hard can it be to loosen the line and reverse it? 5 minutes?

Reply to
Sonny H

I spoke to a guy that has an ac repair shop. He says they see a fair number of orifice tubes put in wrong. He says that they do cool, but not as good as it could. He did say that it would not cause a low side reading of 70 psi.

LOL. Ever tried to get one out that was backwards? It really sucks.

Reply to
crashmaster

Sounds like the compressor is worn out to me..... does the low side go down at a high idle?

Reply to
Scott M

I've had a couple of miserable experiences trying to get them out of an older car when they were in_frontwards_.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton