OT but not

Dearborn Ford plant starting Feb 1, you don't drive a Ford product, you park across the street. I love it. More power to them, GM should do the same.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Years ago, in Oshawa, they insisted that my friend drive a GM product.

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Kinda hard to say whether I agree with this policy or not.

I work for the local big phone company, and we own part of a large wireless provider. An ex-boss of mine said he once "leaned on" one of his employees for using a competing cell phone provider.

I choose a different provider myself and do so based on the quality of the service, the price, and the treatment I get from their customer service folks. That and the fact that I know people who work on the wireless side of things. I'm not switching until I start hearing things that'll make me want to switch.

Of course, my cell phone provider isn't visible to the public like a lot full of cars is, so there is a bit of a difference there.

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Well at least the employees that drive non Ford vehicle won't have to worry about fires since all of the F150's will be parked on Ford property.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

Nobody's gunna tell me what to drive....

V.B.

Reply to
V.B.

They aint, but they damn sure telling you were you can and cant park it on their property.

I think its a good idea, in the same lines the army's parachute quality control works so well. How often do you here of a jump accident in the military because of a chute failure? Every chute has a "bible" attached to it. everyone who touches it signs it. The guy who manufactured it, the final inspector, the guy who repacked it, The guy that pulled it back out and inspected it and repacked as maintenance. Every so often, unannounced, an inspector general team comes through. Pulls a couple chutes, checks the bible for who last packed it, hands it to that person who puts it on, gets in a truck, then a chopper or plane and jumps with it.as it is, no re-inspection, no repack. The guys working on them have a stake in the quality of the work they do. The inspector general team provides the back up chute, just in case. I've never heard of one being needed. If you don't have believe in the company you work for, the product you produce, then you shouldn't be working there. Your ethics and conscience should demand you seek employment else were. In the same light the employer should take a long hard look at you, if you don't believe in the product, what kind of a job are you going to be doing?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Until they pick up the car payment, I drive what I want to drive, and not what *THEY* say I should drive.

Reply to
xmh31d_64

The last paragraph said it all. If you don't believe in the product you produce, then maybe you should work on a product you can have pride in. And for those who say "free choice", I agree. The company should have free choice in it's hiring and benefits (parking) policies.

Reply to
E. BOROWICZ

Then park it. THEY are not telling you where you have to park, THEY are telling you where (THEIR LOT) you cannot park.

Reply to
E. BOROWICZ

As long as I work there, I will park in the employee parking lot, no matter what I drive. What are they gunna do? Fire me? LOL, just let them try!

Reply to
V.B.

Years ago, workers at the Oshawa plant got unbelievable deals on GM products too. I knew guys who bought a new car every two years, parked it and drove a beater, then sold the mothballed vehicles (I think they had to keep it for a certain period of time or something). That hasn't been the policy for a long time (this was during the 70's), now employees get the same phoney "employee pricing" that everyone else gets.

-JD

Reply to
John D

So if you're driving a Mercury Villager made by Nissan or a Mazda product with Ford tags (like my Escort) where could I park? Ford doesn't own a chunk of Mazda anymore.

-JD

Reply to
John D

I suggest you look at the trucking industry, its full of people with that attitude. And that's just one example. Look at any place with a dress code and see how often its adhered to, and if they are ignoring that, what else are they saying screw them about? Its rampant in today's society of me me me me, its been fostered by parents afraid to hurt their kids feelings, teachers and so called child shrinks. And it started with the children of the 60's. and if the union workers aren't on the same page as their union leaders, then the union workers have been slack in their responsibilities. But I don't think that is the case, I think they know full well what is at stake, their job is at stake, their way of life is at stake, their standard of living is at stake. Even with out a union its hard to fire any body today. The cause has to be documented seven ways to sunday, and then approved by district and regional managers in many large corporations, and still risks being over turned by the labor board or resulting in fines or law suits that go for the plaintiff ' Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I hear you.

Perhaps so, but on an individual basis, there are always hotheads that will cut off their noses to spite their faces.

In an at will situation, not really so hard. You do run into problems, though, if you fire someone for stated cause. Once you state a cause, you better have three filing cabinets full of documentation and support for the firing, or you are toast.

Reply to
Commentator