Overfilled Oil

I think the shop slightly overfilled my oil crankcase at the last oil change on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4....the dipstick is reading "off the charts" and when I'm parked I get a small drip of very watery brown fluid (I assume it's overfrothed oil) under the engine compartment. The fluid is not warm and is very watery so I don't believe this fluid has been thru the engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent damage? I assume the excess will just drip out?

Reply to
Spiderman

A little bit won't hurt but,,,, if it is way over full your crankshaft will have to fight it's way through the oil so your mileage and power will suffer. I lost a fuelpump diaphram on a 327 once and filled the crankcase with gas. Had one hell of a leak, out the dipstick, oil filler cap, blew pcv out. Sure smoked a lot too.

Willy

Reply to
Willy Wanka

How far (in inches) over the full mark is it?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks for the quick reply. The engine sounds/runs normal (i.e. great) and the tailpipe emissions are normal (clear). I love the 4.3 Vortec...just wanted to make sure nothing damages my "baby". haha

Reply to
Spiderman

I didn't measure it but its past the FULL mark...but not so far as to ride up the stem of the dipstick.

Reply to
Spiderman

Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark. GUESTIMATE how far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different than 2".

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

So what's the problem? If it is over filled, either do it yourself, take you vehicle to a shop, remove the oil, refill with the proper amount of oil, end of problem.

mike hunt

Spiderman wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

All the above said if the oil is too high it will be turned to foam by the crankshaft and the bearings will be starved of oil and burn up. If it is more than 1/2 inch above full drain it and fill correctly...

Reply to
Woody

Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the diagnosis, Doc?

Reply to
Spiderman

It's fine. Your truck takes about 4.75 qts and they likely just added 5 qts. 1/2" over "full" ain't going to hurt anything.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

The diagnosis is "Nitwitcity"

IOW, you paid Mr Goodwrench to screw up your vehicle. The crankshaft can churn the oil causing it to become entrained with air bubbles, and this is not a good thing for your main bearings.

Dump the extra, do it now. And don't go back to the jerk you paid to screw up your ride.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Maybe a burst fuel pump diaphram? I know if it goes on a Ford it will fill the crankcase with gasoline.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hmmm....I wonder who's right? The Doc (leave it alone) or Lg (dump the oil)?

Reply to
Spiderman

Wouldn't that show up in the oil pressure? The pressure is in the normal operating range. This is a very educational thread!

Reply to
Spiderman

Wouldn't the oil smell like gas then? It still smells like oil. Also, the fuel gauge hasn't moved down abnormally.

Reply to
Spiderman

You're not kidding, I had a new exhaust system installed recently and it fell off the same day...turns out they didn't clamp the muffler down tight enough!

Reply to
Spiderman

I hope for you it is "doc"

Or you can just take it out / have it taken out and spend a $ 19.95 on a oil change

Or a couple of thousand on a motor

You do the math..............

Johan

Reply to
johanb

Hi...

Maybe I'm over-simplifying... but the oil's new; why replace it?

Why not just loosen the plug and let a bit out? Heck, clean the drain pan thoroughly first and save what you remove for a top-up.

Course I am from the waste not want not generation :)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I am going to side with Doc on this, 1/2" over the full mark wont hurt a thing, like he said they put 5 qts instead of 4.5 qts in.(based on the 90 some odd oil changes my 91 has had in its 202,000 mile life time) 1/2 qt aint going to hurt a 4.3, the oil level still wont be close to the crank so no frothing at the dip stick to worry about..

I got a kick out of how these threads get all bent out of shape, Spider don't worry about a fuel pump diaphragm because your truck doesn't have one, its fuel injected and has an electric fuel pump mounted in the tank. And where did he say anywhere in his posts that he took it of Mr. Goodwrench?

Given you have a 4X4, removing the oil filter usually results in some spilt oil on the frame and skid plate, the drips in the drive way are probably from that. Good shop would have cleaned it up.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

leave it alone.... a 1/2" high on the dipstick is negligible.... don't worry about it unless you're a couple of inches above the full mark.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase