Painting Questions.....

If there's anyone here that's done any amount of bodywork, your advice would be much appreciated....

What I've got:

1979 GMC K-1500 shortbed, *very* rust eaten from too many Pennsylvania winters

Replacement cab from 1978 Chevy C-10. (and new Energy suspension bushings)

What I need to do:

Take the center of the floorpan from the K cab and put it in the C cab to allow for room / shifter for my transfer case. I'm also planning on replacing at least the hood (the best one I've got had a cheerleader sittin on it way back in HS and left a dent in the middle of it), inner fenders and maybe the outer fenders if I can find a good deal on them. I'd also like to find a stepside bed to put on it, just because I like the way they look.

What kind of prep work am I going to need to do, what kind of 'etching' products can I use to prevent rust from coming back, and if not using a metallic color, can I paint the panels one at a time and then assemble them?

Thanks!

Jeremy

-- It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. -Albert Einstein

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

"Jeremy Chavers" wrote in message news:xFqib.12234$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.austin.rr.com...

While you have the cab/ bed off clean the frame the best you can and coat it with POR 15 or Chassis Saver paint from Magnet Paints. Make sure all the lines are good and anything that should be replaced is done before you coat it.

Well Mill Supply has just about any body panel you could want. They come in primer.

'etching'

Prep work is the BIG item in paint work, remember paint is a covering not a cover-up. For any panel that your keeping that has no rust you just wipe it down first with wax and grease remover first and then sand the gloss off the paint. If there is rust REPAIR it or replace the panel. With the panels off this will be easy. I would NOT paint the panels first, too many variables to insure all parts turn out the same. Plus it is REAL easy to scratch paint during assembly. However you can paint the backside of seams and joints that normally get coated before you assemble the truck. If your taking it to the frame you may as well do it right. Once you have the body assembled then you can final sand and shoot the entire cab with sealer and then color. Do this with the bed off but do both the bed and the cab at the same time. Once your throughwith the sealer you could undercoat the cab and bed. Then mask off what doesn't get painted and shoot the color. If you use base/clear the color just has to be even and cover everything without runs or dirt. Then shoot on a few coats of clear. Mix a little paint into the first coat or two of clear, it helps hide the later scratches in the clear. As for keeping the rust away I have been using an electronic unit on my wifes blazer as a test. so far it is working GREAT. It uses a box under the hood and two stick on pads on each end of the truck to slow the rust down. It ALMOST stops it but not completely, I think on a vehicle with very little or no rust it would be well over 5-7 years for ANY rust to show on the body with the system. I live in upstate NY so I do play in lot's of salt in the winter.

Reply to
Steve W.

Don't hide you god-sent rust preventer, where'd you get it? Sounds like snake oil but if it's cheep enough....

Reply to
KJ

. . . Re: Painting Questions..... Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sat, Oct 25, 2003, 1:17am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEworldnet.att.net (KJ)

Don't hide you god-sent rust preventer, where'd you get it? Sounds like snake oil but if it's cheep enough....

========= KJ, you cheap fark.....

use "Ospho"....it's cheap, a quart will treat a entire truck jest about..which makes it cheap,....... it works and you can coat over it with no other prep work needed...if you do it within 24 hours of drying.

IT WILL STOP THE RUST....as much as anything on the market that costs twice or

3 times as much....and you can get it at just about any good auto-paint supply, or HARDWARE STORE.

I've used it on some of the rustiest she'uht you could imagine....IT WORKS.

marsh ~:~knows kj is "thrifty".~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster