passlock problems '00 suburban

I'm having a lot of trouble with the passlock system in a '00 suburban that's out of warrantee. Does any one have advise or experience using a bypass device such as the PL-DATA-II or PLGML that are marketed for use with remote starters? Thanks in advance.

Rick

Reply to
-rick-

replying to my own post...

ok, no help there. How about any one else that's had problems with their passlock system? (won't start because the computer doesn't agree that the ignition switch is sending the right resistance value so it disables fuel injectors)

I am getting real tired of waiting through the 20 minute reset procedure at the most inconvenient times and places such as a boat ramp or gas station. Each time I brought it (or towed it) to the dealer during the warrantee period they claimed they couldn't do anything because error codes (conveniently) weren't stored. Now that it's out of warrantee they want $90 a pop to read the codes which I'm pretty sure still won't show the problem as apparently the failure events are not stored. I don't know what the failure rate is with these things but I can't believe they use this system in emergency vehicles. The dealer claims it can not be disabled but I see bypass devices advertised for remote starter applications.

Has any one else had similar failures?

Did you get it fixed?

How did the dealer or GM handle it?

Thanks, Rick

Reply to
-rick-

I have a 98 Tahoe that is experiencing the same problemsvery intermittently. I have a remote starter. When it started happening, we disconnected the remote starter and the passlock bypass, I still had the problem so I know it isnt the remote starter like they kept trying to say. Ive never been able to get it fixed, dealer cant/wont. Alarm co. cant isnt an alarm prob.. If you find a way to bypass it completely let me know too Tony

Reply to
Rokihora

My wife, who has some time on her hands, elevated the problem and got the dealer to agree to another round of diagnostics at no charge. I don't expect much. If that doesn't reveal anything plan B is to get one of the bypass devices and install that with a hidden activation switch. If I understand how it works that should disable the passlock and allow the thing to start even if the passlock wouldn't have allowed it.

An example device can be seen at:

Did you try using your remote starter when your passlock was acting up? If so did it work?

thanks, Rick

Reply to
-rick-

I now only use my remote starter.. It will always work. If I do happen to try with the key first and it doesnt start, using the remote start after will not work, as the computer has shut it down. I may have said before, that I tried to disco the remote starter and its passlock bypass. But it still had its problems, thats how I know it isnt the remote starter like they say at the dealer. let me know what you find out, you can reply to my email too, easier to keep in touch Tony snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Rokihora

That's good news, it sounds like a bypass device will solve the problem if it's always enabled. Thanks for the info.

regards, Rick

Reply to
-rick-

thing is, I havent seen a bypass you can always enable. they usually just work when the remote starter is starting. If youve found a way to diable passlock2 completely, all the way. I d like to see it thanks Tony

Reply to
Rokihora