ping: Colorado owners

The Colorado has been out for a while. has anyone bought one? if so, what configuration did you get, and how do you like it? Are they going for sticker, or under or over?

Reply to
Trey

I bought a Canyon at the beginning of February and am fairly pleased with it. Rolled 5,000 KM today. Regular cab 2WD SLE. The list on my configuration was 25,340 CAD (19,197 USD @ 1.32). They were very adamant about NOT cutting the price, particularly given the slowness with which they are rolling into the dealerships. Nonetheless, after adding paint protection, side steps, box liner, mud flaps, vent visors, hood protector, and top rail caps, I paid 24,400 CAD (18,485 USD @ 1.32). I also got a decent price for my '98 Malibu LS that I traded (147,000 KM).

It all depends on the dealer and how willing you are to walk away if you don't get what you want. But key is being prepared when you walk in - spend the money to get a dealer cost report from a reputable service. For example, the one I used had negotiated a deal with a local dealer for 800 CAD over invoice. They did not have the truck I wanted. So I went to my dealer and basically said that I could either order and wait for the truck at this price - and showed it to them in writing - or they could beat that price and move some inventory immediately. As I said, convince them you are willing to walk and 99% of the time they will do the deal.

The best part is, armed with this availability of information (and assuming that you are smart enough to leave SOMETHING on the table for them), you don't even have to be that strong a negotiator. To repeat, a key is convincing them you WILL walk away.

Mileage is decent, handles well in the snow, decent ride.

Reply to
Commentator

Ended up getting a Orange Colorado LS Z85 with the I-5. Have about 1500 miles on it so far and it is a very strong motor and gets about 20mpg city. Had the dealer throw in a Line-X under the rail liner with the deal and ended up about $2,000 under sticker. Didn't get much in options, except the tow package and rubber floor mats. Quite a bit of room behind the seats considering it's a standard cab. Pretty much everything you could ask for in a small truck.

Like commentator said, depends on the dealer. The GMC dealer had the same truck for a $1,000 over sticker down the street.

Reply to
Arghhh

Reply to
Denis Pierce

what?! 7k under??? where is this dealership? I need to go get a new truck!

Reply to
Trey

I am wondering what you think of the Line-X bedliner? I am thinking of getting it myself, though where I live it is called something different. Rhino seems to be the only other one that I can find. I ordered the Colorado LS Z85 with most of the options and have to wait

6-8 weeks. I got a good deal, about 7K below sticker price, online pricing.

Reply to
Ron

I LOVE the LineX in my truck! it stays clean, very hard to scratch, and doesn't scratch stuff up when I put stuff in there. There is no rust in the bed ether.

I know a lot of people will argue that you can buy a lot of replacement drop-in plastic bed liners for the price of a spray in, They will also argue about "what if you drop something really heavy, like a cement block in the bed?" I have tossed quite a bit of stuff in mine and have not had any problems. AND most spray-ins have warrantee, so if you do some how manage to dent or scratch it, they will fix it for free. Any truck I get will have a spray in from now on.

Check out the web sites for the spray-in companies, I'm sure that have pictures and videos of the abuse they can take, and still look good.

Reply to
Trey

Not to start a flame war, but since all beds are double sided, what's the difference if the inside gets a few dents or scratch's in the factory paint/metal. It IS a truck. For a few bucks you can re spray the whole thing with touch up paint if the scratches bother you. For that matter, you could get it "rhinoed" just before you sell it and make the new spray in a selling point if you were concerned about resale value.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

I can really care less about the dents. I used to haul broken concrete in my old 1971 Ford F-250. The spray in just makes the bed look good, and keeps it looking good after its used. Also. Scratching goes both ways. I will put my skis, my mountain bike, road bike.. and computer stuff in the back of my truck. I really don't what the stuff I put in the back to get too scratched up. Also, the spray in keeps stuff from sliding around as much

Sure, a truck is a truck is a truck. A work truck will get beat up, but a spray in would greatly extend the life of the bed. a quarter inch of plastic takes a lot of beating the thin steel can take a lot, but once the steel is worn out, you cant spray more steel in the bed.

Reply to
Trey

Hi all, Best price I can get on a Z71 4x4 I-5 Crewcab is only $1000 below invoice before rebates. Is this typical for GM? Sounds like a really bad deal to me based on other new cars that I have purchased. They are obviously not moving these trucks so I'm wondering why they don't deal better. Also, about the bedliners, total waste of money. A pickup is meant to work so use it. The pickup is going to fall apart with rust in the doors, sides, etc before the bed. I have a 20 year old S-10 that is a farm vehicle with no silly liner in the bed and no rust because it gets used. It's all just a scam, you are throwing money away with that, just like the undercoating scam.

Anyway, what kind of deals are you guys getting? Hopefully better then $1000 grand under invoice or is that typical?

Thanks JJ

Reply to
jj

Did you mean to say "$1000 under sticker" instead of under invoice? A thousand under invoice is a pretty good deal... Steve

P.S. A thousand grand under invoice is an even better deal. Take it.

Reply to
sf/gf

"jj" sez:

Go to a Toyota dealer and take a nice new shiny Tundra Double Cab for a test drive, roll up into the dealer with the Colorado and tell 'em you're going to buy the Toy today unless they give you the deal you want ... whadda got to lose?

Good dealin' to ya, VLJ

Reply to
vlj

No, I meant $1000 below invoice then the $1500 incentive and 0% financing. Just from emailing them I got a quote of $500 under invoice. I live in the DC area and the last two cars I purchased were about $4000 under invoice (not sticker or MSRP, sticker is always highest, never go by that number) Just go check out the quotes on any of the online services and they are at least $600 to $1000 under invoice on this truck.

Reply to
jj

Wish I could buy a Tundra, much rather have a reliable truck. The only thing that has attracted me to the Chevy is the gas mileage. However, the Tundra and the Colorado are not in the same class. The Tundra is a much larger truck. I think you meant to say the Tacoma, which I would much rather have as well if it got 5 more miles to the gallon. The Toyota is much cheaper then the Colorado but I drive 120 miles a day and the gas would easily make up the difference. If I planned on keeping the truck for then next 10 years I'd buy Toyota, no question. The Colorado will probably be good for 3, so I'll have 1 year without a payment.

Reply to
jj

I am going to be using mine mostly for camping and such. The idea of the liner is mostly to stop things from rolling/moving around unnecesarily. A little protection of the box at the same time will keep it looking good. LineX is a long ways from here but it does seem to be the best from what I have been reading and the people I have been able to talk to about it. Thanks to you all for your comments.

Reply to
Ron