Piston Slap???

I have a 2006 Yukon Denali with the 6.0 engine with 12K miles. I recently started hearing a knocking sound when the engine is cold. Has piston slap been reported on these engines? Please tell me no since I have this with my Expedition.

Can't anyone make an engine anymore that doesn't knock?

Reply to
NJ Vike

Honda :)

Reply to
Battleax

My 2001 siverado with the 6.0 started knocking early on. The GM mechanic suggested letting the engine idle for 30 seconds or so when cold and don't rev the engine for the first mile or so (passing gear, etc). Truck now has 77K miles and runs fine, except at freeway speeds(75+) mph it does use some oil, maybe a quart per 1,000. I don't know what to expect this summer when I start pulling a fifth wheel camper.

Reply to
Ron

Thanks for the reply. I guess I found another vehicle with piston-slap. Wish I did my homework.

Other than that, it's an exceptional vehicle.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

I'm starting to see why people are switching over. I did test drive an Acura TL and was I impressed.

Oh, well.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

I believe everyone is capable of making an engine like Honda, it's just a matter of wanting to

Reply to
Battleax

I have no complaints with my 04 5.3l (although it only has 38k on it) or my

91 5.7l with 258k on it. Chevy can make good motors, and they are usually located in their trucks.

Reply to
Sigwings

What is the tow rating of that Acura?

Reply to
Sigwings

Sounds to me like you are looking for trouble. Every manufacturer has problems even the high and mighty Honda and Toyota. The make nice cars, but so does everybody. Honda doesn't make a truck though, and Toyota is WAY to proud of their new ones.

Reply to
Sigwings

I do agree actually.

Reply to
Battleax

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub

Has anyone proved a relationship between "piston slap" and reliablitity?

Reply to
Sigwings

"Sigwings" wrote in news:f32mh.6523$0F1.3144@trnddc02:

ive seen no mechanical reliability problem with the afflicted engines. the relaiability of resale value of the trucks took a several thousand dollar hit tho......but, its only money.

Reply to
KjunRaven

That's what I though and why I decided to purchase one.

Reply to
NJ Vike

I'm not looking for trouble as you suggest nor am I looking to start a thread like a domestic vs.import nor a Chevy vs. Ford but looking for answers as to why this is acceptable and if it causes damage in the future. Up until my other vehicle, a Ford Expedition with a 5.4 V8, I have never heard of any vehicle making engine noise and considering it normal.

I promised, and still hold to it, that I will never purchase a Ford again and moved on to GM but if they are like Ford, I will move on to another company.

Reply to
NJ Vike

I just heard from a friend of mine that works as a service manager in a Toyota dealership and apparently they, Toyota, has this issue with one of their trucks. I can't remember the name of it but will post it once I talk to him again.

Reply to
NJ Vike

I couldn't agree more. I got burned on GM products years ago including a 97 Silverado and a 00 that I called my Shakerado. Both trucks were purchased new and gave me nothing but problems. The 00 shook like hell at highways speeds and all I could get out of GM including the zone rep was "they all do that." Bullcrap! I traded my 00 in on another brand truck (I won't mention which one becasue they GM sheep will find something wrong with it) and I haven't had a problem yet. And, surprise, it doesn't shake. I'm finished buy anything from GM. And by the shape GM is in I'm not alone.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub

So, to sum it up...ALL American (whatever that means) made vehicles are junk and all foreign (whatever that means) made vehicles never have any issues?

Reply to
Sigwings